What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to replicate an effect.

I’m in desperate need of help.

I’m trying to replicate the attached images’ style, and I just can’t get it. I’ve tried threshold techniques, creating grain textures, applying step filters, nothing works.

I can’t get the whites to be solid white, and the blacks to have the grain effect exclusively.

Does anyone have any advice?

3D31AB24-1CAB-4C32-89E1-709B35A35A04.jpeg

A8931EDA-327B-421D-A796-42F62FD4D284.jpeg

228E22BF-6A2E-4C82-86BC-EB8062D08A7C.jpeg

E89F44D1-354C-49CF-8CF5-B80789950E80.jpeg

Have you taken a look at stippling or bitmapping?

Bitmap
Depending on the original image and bitmap setting, you will have a different effect

Original ink drawing, BG removed.
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 8.07.46 AM.png

Bitmapped with a grey BG.
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 8.10.57 AM.png

For a tutorial on how to use this technique, look HERE.

Stippling
This tutorial is exactly how I would approach this effect using a smart object with smart filters!!!!!
Everything is adjustable!!

Have you taken a look at stippling or bitmapping?

Bitmap
Depending on the original image and bitmap setting, you will have a different effect

Original ink drawing, BG removed.
View attachment 133957

Bitmapped with a grey BG.
View attachment 133958

For a tutorial on how to use this technique, look HERE.

Stippling
This tutorial is exactly how I would approach this effect using a smart object with smart filters!!!!!
Everything is adjustable!!

That looks exactly like the effect I’m going for! I’ll give this a try when I get off work. Thank you so much!!

I haven't had time to play with the stippling technique yet, but it's where I was personally headed when I started thinking about the effect. Then I stumbled onto the video and it showed exactly what I was thinking and much more!

Be sure and post your results! I will also post some results later this evening.............work always seems to get in the way!

Lol, if only I was good enough to do photoshop as a job. As soon as I can mess around with it, I’ll post the results on the thread. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I haven't had time to play with the stippling technique yet, but it's where I was personally headed when I started thinking about the effect. Then I stumbled onto the video and it showed exactly what I was thinking and much more!

Be sure and post your results! I will also post some results later this evening.............work always seems to get in the way!
I’ve messed around with it a bit. I’m definitely achieving that stipple effect I was after, but I seem to be losing a lot of detail in the images. Some parts are too black, while other parts are too white.

Have you gotten a chance to try the effect?

I’ve messed around with it a bit. I’m definitely achieving that stipple effect I was after, but I seem to be losing a lot of detail in the images. Some parts are too black, while other parts are too white.
Let's take a look at what you have!

Have you gotten a chance to try the effect?
No, not yet. Thursdays and Fridays are my scheduled workdays at the hospital. So what little spare time I have on these days, I divide between family and commercial projects I have going on. I can usually work in a PSG related project on these days but this week I have been covered up! Saturday evening is when I will most likely have the chance to give this technique a try!

I would really like to see what you have done so far, so I have an idea, or comparison with your sample images you provided, of where you are going with this technique. Are you using inked drawings as a starting point? Or, are you using real photos of objects?

No, not yet. Thursdays and Fridays are my scheduled workdays at the hospital. So what little spare time I have on these days, I divide between family and commercial projects I have going on. I can usually work in a PSG related project on these days but this week I have been covered up! Saturday evening is when I will most likely have the chance to give this technique a try!
I look forward to seeing what you create!

would really like to see what you have done so far, so I have an idea, or comparison with your sample images you provided, of where you are going with this technique.
After lots of trial and error, this is my current attempt I’m just creating a bunch of flash sheets to practice on different images consecutively. 3AEA4E1F-199D-4A89-A7CF-80936C6E80E6.jpeg
Are you using inked drawings as a starting point? Or, are you using real photos of objects?
I’m using a mix of real photos and digital illustrations, converting them to black and white and then processing the rest of my effects.

Here are some other attempts, whilst trying different methods:
9BD7242D-E018-4002-97CD-9F01AC442957.jpeg
1F0AC7F6-DABB-4B35-8C85-150A387AD061.jpeg

This was my first attempt: F1995160-083C-4630-B876-A9470A981D86.jpeg

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you on this one.

I tried two different techniques....................I have a favorite! Which one do you like?

Starting image
Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 12.51.41 PM.png

First Technique
Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 12.52.18 PM.png

Second technique
Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 12.51.17 PM.png

I think I like the second technique more! It seems more refined as it hasn’t lost much detail to the stippling. How did you go about creating that?

My complete underlying philosophy in working with Ps is have the ability to EDIT everything!!!! So I'm a huge proponent of smart objects! However this second technique was also my favorite but it was a little more old school! It's still highly editable but I only used the SO for a Gaussian blur..........the rest is just old fashioned patterns.

Give me awhile and I will post how I did it. There is actually a vid tut on the basic principle that I used................I need to see if I can find it.

AHaaaa found it.............I had it bookmarked from a few years back!

I did cheat a bit because I had already made the stipple patterns from a few years ago.
The only three things I did differently was to convert the first "Clown Layer" into a smart object and added the Gaussian Blur smart filter to it.
I used a adjustment layer for posterize.
I used separate layers for each stipple pattern so I could edit them individually if needed.

Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 1.29.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 1.29.35 PM.png

AHaaaa found it.............I had it bookmarked from a few years back!

I did cheat a bit because I had already made the stipple patterns from a few years ago.
The only three things I did differently was to convert the first "Clown Layer" into a smart object and added the Gaussian Blur smart filter to it.
I used a adjustment layer for posterize.
I used separate layers for each stipple pattern so I could edit them individually if needed.

View attachment 134043
View attachment 134044
I’ve seen that video! I found it shortly after your first response. I made the ten patterns as well, I’m gonna give your technique a shot! I didn’t really consider using different layers for each pattern, so it makes sense that you kept more detail than in my attempt at it.

I’ll give it another go sometime today and post the results!

Also, I’ve been emailing Brady from TextureLabs on YouTube, he’s helped me out as well. He mentioned creating a video on the effect, so I’m looking forward to that. Between you and him, I’ve already come so much closer to perfecting that look.

Back