What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

umlaut

pdog182

How do I add an umlaut to text in photoshop? Note, I don't want to have to paint it in myself; it never seems to match the font that way.

Since this is probably system related, you should know I'm running windows xp home edition.

Unfortunately, I have a Dutch version of Win2K, so it will be a guess to translate. Please be a bit creative...

Start>Desktop Accessories>System's tools

Here you find the special characters icon. I copied that to my desktop and dragged it on the quickstart toolbar down left, at the side of the start icon. Clicking on this gives you access to every code for every font you have, and also whether the character is available or not. Some free (and pay!!!) fonts don't have the necessary characters. The dialog window allows you to copy and past, and down right you get the keyboard code (the Alt+number code).

If you often use some of them, you may want to make a list on a piece of paper and fix it somewhere you can easily see it.

Store > Apple Store > Buy > Macintosh

option+u ;)
sorry, couldn't resist

Make sure that num lock is on:

While holding the ALT key type for example:

129 = ?
132 = ?
148 = ?

With a bit of practice (which I had while working for a German company) you type those numbers without even thinking :D

Thanks everyone. Gauss, I thought you were joking. I was shocked when it actually worked. [stuned]

Just a little side note to Gaussian's tip, this only works if the font you're using happens to have that letter in its character set. If those letters haven't been created for that font, using the Alt-keypad trick won't magically produce the alternate characters.

MindBender said:
Store > Apple Store > Buy > Macintosh

option+u ;)
sorry, couldn't resist

:rofl: haha Mindbender!!!
Well, macs are a bit spendy, and I love macs and apple, and know the quality and everything is so much better and easier! Ahhh, I hate living with Window computers!
[shhh] When I feel to overwhelmed I go into my brothers "Mac" room :D

Hey Alistair,

The big advantage of PC is that you don't have to spend too much money, and that you can learn to work with nearly all apps (plus a lot that have no mac version). And later, when you're rich and famous, you can buy the best mac that's ever been made, and go to fancy restaurants with Steve Jobs himself. Just a bit of patience, and lots of creative work!

I'm steering clear of this argument [oops] Suffice it to say I have a Mac and I'm very happy!

As for cost...depends. Apps? How many word processors and graphics programs do you really need? (I have 4 word processors, 3 vector apps, 2 raster/image editing/painting aps, more PS plug-ins that I really use).

:\ And here I said I wouldn't get into the platform argument

Heh, sorry. I was just being glib, hadn't intended to rekindly the 'ol platform discussion. [saywhat]

Dami said:
Just a little side note to Gaussian's tip, this only works if the font you're using happens to have that letter in its character set. If those letters haven't been created for that font, using the Alt-keypad trick won't magically produce the alternate characters.
I agree, but neither will any other trick if that font doesn't contain these characters [innocent]

Erik said:
Hey Alistair,

The big advantage of PC is that you don't have to spend too much money, and that you can learn to work with nearly all apps (plus a lot that have no mac version). And later, when you're rich and famous, you can buy the best mac that's ever been made, and go to fancy restaurants with Steve Jobs himself. Just a bit of patience, and lots of creative work!
Man, you are so right on!!! :perfect: I like the way you think! And after all that hard work and getting the best mac, I could create a company and hire workers to convert all none mac programs to mac format :rofl: :) :D ;) Steve Jobs... :D

not only are macs more expensive in the first place, but they're also such a hassle to upgrade that you have to have somebody else do it (or atleast with those ugly monitor/computer in one things). They have been fixing this recently but the price diffrence and the fact that you need to run another application in order to run windows applications makes it more expensive and more annoying. I'd much rather have a cheaper easily upgraded system that I can run most programs on (even if the OS runs slower).

Not only do I know how to make an umlaut now, but also which type of computer to by. [:I

Back