What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actions Ungroup Layers Action

Su Ferguson

Hi, if anyone can help me with this I would be forever grateful. I am trying to write an action to ungroup layers and have made a basic one. The part I don't understand is how I make it to work with any layer group rather than a specific layer group. For example I have a template that has several layer groups that are named left panel, middle panel and right panel. If I want to use this in other templates that do not have the same layer names can anyone tell me how to do this? I hope this makes sense and there is someone out there that can help me with this. I'm sure it's not rocket science, but for whatever reason I'm not getting it.

Many thanks
Su

Su Ferguson

Hi and thanks for your response and your script. I might need to add some info here, I design templates in photoshop that I want to offer to PSE users as well which is why I was trying to create an action for ungrouping layers. I wanted to make this a very simple process for any user and I'm not familiar with scripts. I apologize for not having explained it better in my first post.

I know it can be done and that it's not rocket science but something in the process is escaping me. I have an action that someone else created but I don't want to use/steal someone else's action and so need to create an action that will work with layer groups and work with any template I design, the issue is that not all template layer groups are going to be named the same so I need an action that will work universally with any template. There is a layer in the action that should say "delete current layer without contained" which means it will work on any layer group but there's my quandry, I don't know how to make that layer? Any thoughts.
Thanks

colleague

Guru
1) please try the script provided, it works for me

download the script and place it on your desktop
then go to "file>>scripts>>browse to the script and ok

2) if you want an action that says "delete current layer without contained" that works for whatever named group

start recording a new action
go to "layer>>delete>>group"
and choose there for "only the group"
stop the recording

Su Ferguson

Hi and thank you so much, that worked. I knew there had to be a fairly simple fix for that, thanks. One more question, so to be a pain. This action works for any group layer I click and run it on. Is there a way for it to work on all the group layers at once within a psd file?

I really appreciate your help on this. The script worked great thank you, however since this will be used for Adobe Elements as well, not certain if or how scripts work in that program.

Cheers
Su

colleague

Guru
Hi

you can record an action like this

1) go to "select>>all layers" (alt + ctrl+A)
2) go to "layers>>ungroup layers" (shft+ctrl+G)

Su Ferguson

Perfect, thank you so much, that's exactly what I needed. Really appreciate your help on this. Cheers Su