What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unlinking Mockups Layers

Stefano0094

Hi Everyone; I am new here. I've learned to use photoshop in the last few years. Now I am working a bit with book mockups to use in Amazon KDP.

So I need to make a mockup for 7 books. I have found a book mockup that I like online, so I have duplicated all the layers 7 times. Then I grouped them per book and arranged them nicely on my canvas, but when I placed my image in the smart layer, it updated all the books. Is there a way to unlink the layers so I can make the 7 different book mockups?? I will post some screenshots to help you understand my issue.

So this is how the original file was...
1668454887308.png

And these are the changes that I have made, but as you can see, when I add a new picture in the group "Book 1," which is the first on the left and save the edit, it will get updated for all the books.
1668455007703.png

Can anyone alight me on how to work around this??
I cannot upload the .PSD file as it is too large, but I will link a OneDrive link to access the file in case you want to look at it in more detail.

One Drive Link

I appreciate any help you can provide.

The solution would be to create a new SO for each book.
Right Click > New Smart Object via Copy. Now you will be having two layers one smart object and a copy of it that will not be synced.

Here, I have only done 3 of the books. I changed the first two just to see how they would look.

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 3.57.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 3.57.49 PM.png

Your welcome!

Looks good!

Another problem I noticed is that the "Book Shadow" layer is cast on the books to the left....
Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 2.00.29 AM.png

You will have to place a layer mask on all of the book shadow layers.
Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 2.04.16 AM.png

I think that was due to the SO being synced as I do not see the shadow cast on the other book in the current file
1668600464539.png

I think that was due to the SO being synced
No...........this would not have anything to do with it. It's not the SO layer, it's the "Book Shadow" layer and it's based on the copying (synced or not) of the (Book) group and being repositioned. The shadow from the very first book group copied would still be the same shadow in it's distance, and would be seen on the book to it's left. You may have lowered the shadow layers opacity. In the original file you provided, this was set to 75%.

These are the last 4 books in the file you uploaded/provided (4,5,6,7).............I did not change a single thing other than turning off the "your Image here" layers!!!!
The shadows ARE there...........except on the last "book group" copied which would be No 7!
Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 7.58.20 AM.png

Mind you, this observation is based on the file you provided above. You may not be working with that same file.

Back