What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actions Using an action to save 2 file type issue

Johnny B.

Hi all! I'm working on a new project that requires me to save a psd and png version of each file. While I don't use actions that often, I thought I could just record one that does this...

save
-as:photoshop
-in:C:\desktop\psd file

then

save
-as:png format
-in: C:\destop\png file

The idea is that I have 1 psd version to edit, and 1 png to export to another program. There are number of problems doing this the way the action is set up now such as photoshop saving a "copy" version of each file every time I re-save, and the target directories getting mixed up. I'm not quite sure what to do next! Any help is greatly appreciated!

-John

I suggest you try the Javascript scripting. Once you get familiar, it's super easy to update so you get it going just like you want. E.g. with lots of files you can just run script over everything that is open. There was a good explanation in recent threa Custom Scripts (apparently I'm too dangerous post links)

For example saving the two files and closing it is just
PHP:
var doc = app.activeDocument 
var PNG_OPTIONS = new PNGSaveOptions() 
var file = new File("C:\\Desktop\\png\\" + doc.name + ".png") 
doc.saveAs (file, PNG_OPTIONS, false, Extension.NONE) 
file.close() 
file = null 
var PSD_OPTIONS = new PhotoshopSaveOptions() 
file = new File("C:\\Desktop\\psd\\" + doc.name + ".psd") 
doc.saveAs(file, PNG_OPTIONS, false, Extension.NONE) 
file.close() 
file = null 
doc.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES) 
doc = null

Back