What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vexed

tranquil222

Power User
I just made some hi-res scans and then when I tried to open the files I got this warning. Didn't do anything wierd when saving it. Just file--save as and then i chose jpeg with high quality. vexed.

[innocent]

I have had that before as well,only the Mac error.I got around it by opening the images in another picture viewer and exporting as a tif etc then into PS.I dont know why it happens though.

Stu.

It's your scanner software adding crap in the image header that PS can't read.

try opening it with IrfanView or something and reSaving it as something else... just like Stu said. That'll fix it.

Even better, try to find out if you can you save it as something else when you scan, because then you can go straight to PS, without to need to export it in a different program ;)

Irfanview can indeed often repair a bizarre header.On the other hand, I personally don't see why you use jpg to save hires scans. jpg is always lossy, and that counteracts the benefit of hires scanning imo. hires (300dpi or more?) can be used for printing or for zooming into objects (using the scanner as a kind of basic microscope), but in both cases I'd certainly prefer tiff or psd. (and if it were for print, I'd go for LAB mode too)
and indeed: why not use twain to open your scan immediately in PS or Irfan?
my opinion.

Thanks for the help. I was under the impression that jpegs were, at high quality, just as good as a non lossy format. So I will save them as tiffs from now on. I think im ignorant in this respect... [innocent] --yeah i use a pretty cheap hp scanner but ive never had this problem before.

Back