What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warped Grid

pmcoggle

Hi I would like to know the best way to warp a grid so that it looks like it has had a sphere dropped into it ...

like a vortex effect I guess sucking the grid downward ...

Hope you get what I mean?

I attached an image to give more clarity, I want to recreate that kind of effect but without the sphere in the picture.

Hope you can help

Thanks

Phil

Oh oh oh!
I know this one!
I need some time to play, though.

Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have this down to a semi-monster technique. Can you stand the suspense?
...I'm such a tease.

Heh. Not bad for 10 minutes.
Still some kinks to work out.
Oh man!

Make a grid pattern, lines not too fine.
Fill with pattern
Make circular selection.
Feather rather high value (experiment)
Filter>Spherize, -100%
Contract selection (experiment)
Same spherize filtering.

Then Select all, Edit>Transform>Perspective

Then use gradients etc to apply some shadow effect

Got the kinks worked out. I'm not entirely happy with a particular aspect of this technique, but it mostly works.

Now for the challenge of explaining this.

Grid Dip

:whew:
Enjoy it while it's up.

play.fiddle.learn

~smacks own forehead~
Polar Coords!

Thanks it will do for a start

I have the idea to make a very tight spiral, like a tornado I guess but with tht ewhole grid thing going on.

My boss is out all day tomorrow and I just quit my job so I have 4 easy weeks to dabble with this sort of thing since they wont be getting me to do any major projects before I go and start in new pastures!!

Thanks for all your time and effort, I can't wait to get stuck into it, when I get a result I will post a link for you to have a look at ... til then ....

Cheers

Welcome aboard pmcoggle. :) Interesting query/challenge and I'm delighted to see that you've received some great responses! ;)

Erik, your technique works nicely! :perfect:
And, great job Stroker on your tute!:perfect:
I'm definitely gonna give both techniques a try! :D

Back