What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Text

Bob

Here is my situation. I'm using a template for a web design. In the images folder they provide a blank template with a colored background for me to add text to. When I use the text tool I can write text on the template, but then when I try to save it the text turns into squiggling lines. I've tried several different things, but can't seem to be able to just add the text to the template. Any thoughts?

theKeeper

Guru
Hi Bob, welcome to the Forum.

Can you provide a screen capture maybe of the offending text image? As is, it's somewhat difficult to tell what might be wrong.

Bob

Thanks for getting back to me and I'm, indeed, glad I found this forum. I tried, but can't seem to figure out how to do a screen capture. Is there a speicific process to adding text to a layer that already exists? I think that may be my problem...when I open the template with the colored layer no matter how I try to add text, it doesn't seem to accept it, so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

theKeeper

Guru
Ok Bob... first... check under the IMAGE/Mode menu and make sure you're working in the RGB Mode.

Second... You can't ADD type to an existing layer. Just pick the Type tool, click in your document where you want the type to be, and PS will automatically create anew special 'type layer' for your text.

Afterward, should you care to, you can "Rasterize/Render" your type layer(s). This will make them no longer editing using the Type tool, but completely editable using any other command/function/filter in Photoshop.

That help?

PS: on a PC, press the "Print Screen" button at the top-right side of your keyboard when you want to 'capture' the screen contents. This copies the screen image into the Windows 'clipboard' (a temporary 'virtual' storage space). Then while in Photoshop, press Ctrl/Cmd+N to create a New Document. Accept the default settings except for the colour mode; make sure that's on RGB... then click OK. When the new doc opens, press Ctrl+V to paste the captured screen image into the new document.

Let me know if this doesn't work right for you. As soon as you do this once, you'll understand how simple it actually is. ;)

Bob

Thanks Mucho

Thanks a lot guys. I've been offline and just found your posts. I will give your instructions a try, I'm sure it will work. I had a hunch from what I'd read that the text problem was something to do with layers. I'll let you know how this turns out.

Bob

It Worked!!

Thanks, Mark and all the others here for your help. I did as you instructed Mark. The Image/Mode was not in RGB, so I changed that as you suggested (I don't understand how that makes a difference, but reading three books and working on many exercises in PS...guess, I just haven't gotten to that part yet). Everything else fell into place and it was very simple just as you predicted. Because of that I keep wondering why I couldn't figure it out. You all saved me a lot of frustration. Also, thanks for the tip on making the screen shots--I finally know how to do that now. Keep up the good work.