What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this called in Photoshop lingo?

standard.fantastic

Trying to imitate this hand-painted foto effect, but for digital video. I realize this is a Photoshop forum & not AE, but I thought I might start first in trying to achieve the effect on still images in PS then continue to moving images in AE.

First hurdle is what tutorials should I even be looking for? I’d also be open to experimenting with other similar effects that aren’t exactly the same, but that have a kindred feel (like 3 strip Technicolor LUTs). The project I’ll be using this effect for is a 1930’s pulp comic adaptation.

Any recommendations on either what to search for in replicating this effect, or other effects to consider, would be appreciate.15C20B25-7C85-430B-9220-213951380823.jpeg

Originally this image was a Black and White Foto.
Then someone colorized it to get as close as possible to a Colorprint.

In your provided image the photograper used a camera viewpoint which was much lower than the normal eye line. This resulted in the strange and unnatural lighting from below.

He also used 3 frontal Reflectorlights which intensifyed the rather strange theatralic effect.

In my provided Black an white image of Alfred Hichcock the light source is on eyelevel and somewhat to the right side of the person.

I attached the B+W image and a quickly done Colorimage. Now you can easily compare the difference between a camera angle, viewpoint and lighting of a scene.
See also the screenshot of the Photoshop layers of the colorized image.

This is hopefully a start for your next moves on your project.

I cincerly hope that other gurus have still some more suggestions for you on this matter.

Hitchcock b+w.jpg

Hitchcock colorised.jpg

Layers.jpg

Trying to imitate this hand-painted foto effect
I'm not at all certain as to what you are referring to as a "hand painted effect". Other than what Chris has demonstrated, can you please explain why you think your example is "hand painted"?

Who is this man in your example?

Back