What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whisp of smoke.

101jinx101

hey,
I'm tryin to do some sorta thing like a whisp of smoke, and i don't think i'm doin a very good job... could someone point me in the right direction? i got a pic of what I got so far here, take a look...

smoke.jpg

The principle is ok.
I would choose a white line on a black background to start from, and then smudge that; repeat this on several layers whilst playing a bit with transparancy and blend modes; then make these a layerset, duplicate them and blur that duplicate so as to get a halo-like effect.

also: smoke is never dense, but partly transparant and very whimsical. Chaotic. Unpredictable.

success!

*nods* Yep, start with a white line and smudge it. For final touches use the 'swirl' tools of liquify to subtly twist the smoke in areas. Once you create the base it's just a matter of duplicating that layer and modifying it with the same technique.

As for smoke never being dense, I'll have to disagree. Light an incense cone and watch it for a moment. It's never solid, but it's often very dense. Especially in a still room and close to the base.

awesome, thanks guys :D
I don't have time to test taht theory right now, but i'll post up a pic of what I come up with...

You are right. English is only my third language, and from time to time I do choose the wrong word. It should have been "solid".

I was inspired by jinks wisp of smoke. I think it looks pretty good.
Erik I did what you said about the layer sets. Boy that opens a lot of door duplicating them and all! Good stuff. I've never made a layer set before but I sure could have used them. Here is a little wacom fun with a whisp of smoke ;)

I played with it for like 5 minutes and came up with this...
candle.jpg

Nothing special but it is what I came up with.

Keith

Very cool, Keith. You did a great job with that, buddy. Only change I would have made is to use the gradient tool and make it fade into nothing at that top. That's not a criticism, just a suggestion.

What kind of smoke are you looking for? Cigarette smoke, smoke that comes out of a chimney, explosion related smoke, traling smoke, etc. ?

Um, hmmmm, i dunno, all of those sound intruiging, I suppose something like what would come off of a just put out candle (like the pic above)... But now that you mention it, I would LOVE to learn how to make smoke from an exposion!

Thanks for the kind words guys :D

I achieved the smoke form the candle using almost exactly what was mentioned up above. I sumple made a fairly thick white on on a seperate layer and then "smudged" it to make it look more "smoke" like. From there I used the liquify tool until I got what I was looking for, lucky for me I was happy with the results quickly.
:perfect:
Keith

Back