What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wireframe/transparent plastic type text look....

moses

dont worry, it's not another tut. i can't do. ;)

just wanted to know if anyone had seen anyhting like this before, or knew ways to get the style down. i've tried a few, nothing came close though...

check it out:

theKeeper

Guru
Blueprint Effect...

Hi moses, hi guys. :)

Moses that example image you posted looks very "hand drawn". Then scanned into the computer.

First off... definately go read Greg's thread he linked to. That's a great technique to learn, and very fun to experiment with.
Thanks Greg.

Second... i made this example for you (and everyone else) to show a way of creating this effect just using Photoshop -- generally though, a Vector app would be a better choice for this i.e. Illustrator/XaraX.

It's real easy to do, once you understand what's happening to create the effect. Have a look at the example image below. That should explain pretty-much everything needed; but i'll run through the steps here for you.
NOTE: the effect below was not created to look "perfect", but instead, kind of hand sketched. This is done by making some of the cross-section lines a little crooked or a little short.
  • 1) Create your initial Type layer. Fill it with white.

2) Open the "Layer Effects" (double-click the layer) and apply the Stroke filter (it's on the bottom of the list).
    NOTE: your stroke colour should be a medium gray (pencil lead colour) for a good effect. But it can be whatever you want.

3) Duplicate the Type layer, and use the arrow keys to move this layer UP and to the RIGHT. How far it needs to be moved depend on the size and style of the font used. But try moving it 10 pixels up & right; just as a starting point. You can adjust it from there if need be.

4) Create a New Layer, and move it inbetween the 2 type layers. Set your Foreground colour to the same colour you stroked your type with (it can also be a bit lighter if you want). Use the Line tool -- set it to 1 pixel, with Anti-Aliasing ON. Draw the cross-lines mainly at the areas where the type curves (see example image). They represent shading on the type. You can make these lines as dense or as sparse as you like. That's your call.

5) And finally, switch to white and grab a small brush. Then create a New Layer and put it just below the "cross-lines" layer; from step 4 (see sample image). Paint over the parts of the stroke lines from the background letter, that shouldn't be visible. These will usually be the lines seen on the inner corners of the letter (see example image). [/list:u] The one last thing i did was to refill the top Type layer with a very light gray. That's optional of course.

TIP: One thing to note with this effect is that not every letter you may use will have curves to it -- like a capital letter A. In that case, the cross-section lines can be applied to the straight side edges of the letter. This effect though does in fact lend itself better to curvey letters.

Hope that's clear enough. If not, let me know.

G

Re: Blueprint Effect...

Originally posted by theKeeper
Hope that's clear enough. If not, let me know. [/i]

Clear??? [innocent]
How much better can it be explained than this; detailed steps and the right screenshots that are all well documented. My compliments Mark; I really appreciate it when somebody explains things the way you do :perfect:

G

I knew it, I knew it! :rofl:
I was thinking yesterday, that I wouldn't be surprised if it would be one of your new tutorials ;)

sPECtre

Guru
I would beg to differ, for me it looks like a 3 d render that was rendered with vecta3D, swift 3d, or a similar app...

But Mark's method works, too! :perfect:

moses

theKeeper, heh, what can i say... your a genius.
biggthumpup.gif

thank you

& Greg, good lookin' out, thanks.

:perfect:

theKeeper

Guru
Thanks G. [honesty]

hahaa Pierre... i'll just take that as a compliment huh? ;)

Glad it works for you Moses.
I know it's not an exact 'hand drawn' effect, but that can be rectified by some small touch-ups to the effect afterward. :) [

theKeeper

Guru
Ya linda... the problem isn't your outcome so much as the fact you missed something in the steps. :)
Just try filling your type letter with WHITE, not grays. Then see if that makes it look correct.

The light gray on the front letter comes at the very end... the very last thing you do after you have the main effect done.