What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yello mannequin body!

ArtmakersWorlds

How to take a real human face and paste it onto a mannequin body and make it look like the yellow plastic like the body

So I have a photo of a mannequin and I want to take a human head and swap it for the mannequin head and make it look like it's part of the mannequin.

I can do the swapping part easy enough, just forgot how to make it match the mostly yellow plastic look of the rest of it.

If need be I could post this up in the free projects but I don't really need this done for me, I'd rather learn how myself.

Thanks in advance.

OH SWEET! And a whole lot more tricks than I would have tried after not touching photoshop in far too long.
Not sure this will match the difference in color I have to contend with but..... learning is afoot. I will follow this and see how it goes.

Thanks.

just forgot how to make it match the mostly yellow plastic look of the rest of it.
This can be tricky! I would start by smoothing the skin and then adding an adjustment layer to match the color.

Here is a video that shows a quick easy way to smooth the skin. There are MANY other ways to accomplish a "plastic" skin effect, but they all involve the smoothing of the skin at some point.

I'm not sure about matching the yellow coloration, I may need to play with this.

That video is not the best. Darn near impossible to see just WHAT TOOL the guy is picking up let alone any settings. Needs narration instead of elevator music.

I haven't had time to sit down and play with this just yet but Im thinking that healing brush might be helpful. (If so be the first time I ever found a use for it. lol.)

Darn near impossible to see just WHAT TOOL the guy is picking up let alone any settings.
Smudge Tool. Sorry about that! For that same reason, I'm in the habit of looking at what tool they are using in the video by looking at the toolbar!

Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 10.46.26 AM copy.png

Ok, time to post some actual samples, what I have done so far. All that is left is fixing the skin tone and texture. (Oh and yea the neckline still needs work, this is a work in progress.)

FIRST..... this one is political so if there are any anti Trump snowflakes reading this, you may want to run away now.

CageOrigSample.jpg

BidenCageProject2.jpg

I finally got this done, not that thrilled with the results but it will do.

In case anyone wants to know the process,
1, with a copy of the face on it's own document, remove color turn to grayscale.
2. Posterize 4 colors
3. turn back to RGB
4. selecting shades off the hand I use those to fill the shades of gray on the face.
5. going back and forth between the smudge tool and blur, with a touch of burn and dodge, fuzzy brushes and very low opacity settings until it came out somewhat close to what I had in mind.

This was done using the technique from my post #7

Yellow
Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 12.38.36 PM.png

Normal
Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 1.00.19 PM.png

Ok, I DID look at one of those on your page, the swapping Bean for Superman one. And this sample looks amazing, as well as some others on that page face in an apple or potato.
BUT. the apple, potato, etc, they all start with a blank surface. Apple shape for example. If I had a blank face this would be easy but the original already has a face on it.
So the bean to superman example would be ok except the color wouldn't. If I had a blank plastic head to start with again easy but I don't.

Again I'm not overly thrilled with my result, but I think the technique I was doing might work, maybe try again later, maybe posterize into more colors might not pixelate the thing as bad. Yea it's a work in progress. And more learning, that's always a good thing.

Yea thought of that later, I might try it again, got other projects going right now. Actual paint on canvas at the moment. Waiting for Saturn to dry as we speak.

Back