What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another how did they?

Lompoc42

Neat effect. Yet no time to try and figure out how it was done. I need to become freelance and support myself that way. I don't know how much I like sitting at an office! :rofl: :rofl: if only I could find some clientele. Anyone know a good tutorial to create an effect such as this? I love the car steel/paint look, it's great. I'd imagine this has a lot to do with gradients and freeforming. :rofl: :rofl: B7
Keep on the path

G

Why do you assume it was done in a 2D program like Photoshop and not with 3D software? [confused]

Personally I don't spend too much time on these advanced 3D effects in Photoshop; for that I use 3D tool likes Wings3D and Cinema 4D.
It can do something like this in a matter of minutes, with results that would take you an hour or even more in Photoshop to get even close to to the quality of the results of C4D.
If your clients are going to pay you by the hour, then you're going to be an expensive designer.

Just my 2 cents ;)

abbe

i would probably do like gaussian would but it can be done in ps and i think there are a tut to manage the shape you want w8 brb...

abbe stumbles down in the seller and starts looking....hmmmm.....

hmmm

hmm

aaaa here =)

Tutorial link

and it can be found over at =)
http://www.spyroteknik.com/

and about the metallic look. Well its all about higlights and i think that mark have abunch of tut explaning that =)

Rock on

Lompoc42

THanks guys. I like the tut site also, very Gigerish. [confused] I don't like using 3D so much because I just don't care to learn it. I had my opportunity to learn Maya and Lightwave, but I wanted to focus on digital video more. At this point I don't really have much use for it. I'm sure that the pic I posted can be done in photoshop without too much difficulty. I'll give 'er a try later after work. Thanks for the replies fellas.
:rofl: :rofl: B7
Keep on the path

Erik

Guru
a quickie to indicate a possible solution:

1/ Open a square doc
2/ select a horizontal rectangle from left to right and apply a symmetrical gradient to it with white in the middle
3/ Apply the Polar Coords filter to it.
4/ select all and rotate,
5/ then wave filter
6 finally some gaussian blur and some curves.

play and experiment with some tweakings, and most of all: have fun!

sfm

Guru
abbe said:
brb...

abbe stumbles down in the seller and starts looking....hmmmm.....

hmmm

hmm

aaaa here =)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: sorry shouldn't laugh at you falling down those stairs in the cellar but it was funny picturing it he he he
thanks for the link :perfect:

Hey Erik you could also use the shear filter too right?
sfm

Erik

Guru
yes, etc etc etc. just play (the wave filter after a ppolar is fascinating)

G

I did this one a while back. It's a section of a larger image.
It's just to show you that it somehow can be done in Photoshop.
It would however have taken me less time to make with a better quality, if I would have used a 3D program
I can understand it if you don't want to use 3D software Lompoc42, but hey, if you want to make quality 3D designs, then everyone will agree that Photoshop is not the right tool, especially if your customers are waiting :\

Lompoc42

Wow Gaussin that's an incredible image, even if it is just a piece! :perfect: :D I'd love to see the whole thing. Anyway so I got a little fed up with trying to do this in photoshop. I'm wholely convinced it could be done but you guys are right about these things being more for the 3d world }:\ Oh well :p Anyway so wanting to make something 3dish, metallic or what not, I came up with this. Hitchhikers guide to photoshop. :rofl: :rofl: [slick]
Keep on the Path

Alistair

Guru
Well, gaus. Dont you think it would be better if he went the longer way out, he gets payed more [stuned] :D :p [honesty] Yes, it could be done in wings3d and cinema 4d (combined), but does he have c4d (I dont and thats why i want to know how to do something like this in ps too!! :D [innocent] )