What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intense -before and after manipulation

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Here is one I just finished. Ran across the original image in the free photos at morquefile. I was impressed by the girls intense expression. I desaturated it, recolored the skin, used her original eyes with a hard light blend and a bunch of other stuff to lengthy to keep up with. Tell me what you think.
Intense.jpg
and here is the before
Intense-Original.jpg

Intense, alright!

Very nice mate...

Couple of things. The eye whites need more work and you done a nice job on the model cutout, just the hair outline looks slightly fuzzy down to the soft brush.

Here's a little trick to help with that. After you have cut the model out, focus on the hair outlines and grab a tiny smudge brush, settings quite high and click and drag from the hair to off the model creating fine hairs. Do this multiple times all around the hair line.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
Very nice mate...

Couple of things. The eye whites need more work and you done a nice job on the model cutout, just the hair outline looks slightly fuzzy down to the soft brush.

Here's a little trick to help with that. After you have cut the model out, focus on the hair outlines and grab a tiny smudge brush, settings quite high and click and drag from the hair to off the model creating fine hairs. Do this multiple times all around the hair line.

lol always with your guard up..:cheesygrin:.... I'll take a stab at it

:thumbsup:.... I am going to give you intense in the greeneyes° (take note of degree):mrgreen:

All she needs now is red hair..??? huh huh huh:rofl:

That can be arranged for a minimum fee.... Say a paperweight with IDG on it LMAO.....

BTW.....that will happen I'll let you know when the time comes

I agree with Inkz, Larry. The left eye especially. The white bleeds over too much, on the inside. Also, the white look unreal because they are so intense. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be intense, but this just doesn't look right. I'd change the blend mode or just bring down the opacity. The lips, somewhat the same, IMO that is. Too bright. But more so, the color seems to bleed over here also. Really zoom in on this to see those outlines better. I sometimes use hair brushes to put back the strands I couldn't save.

The color is coming along nicely; still has just the flattest feel to me and the left side of the face loses the shadow or gets to deep a shadow more to the point. BUT, that may be your personal choice. One more thing (don't hate me), her right shoulder is noticeably cut out wrong. The curve doesn't seem to connect properly and there is a jagged piece out of her arm.

That said . . . it's really very nice. I love the background and the fractal wrapping around her. It's quite a transformation from the original. Shockingly so :shocked: and not in a bad way. Bravo.

Believe it or not, I actually lowered the brightness of the whites of her eyes it is not 255,255,255 but is a grey, but they are a little bright. Lips - I kinda got carried away. I wanted a huge contrast and I think I overshot.
After sending it up to post, it seems to look somewhat different here than in PS. I agree on the face. I'll look at these issues and thank you very much for your input. All in all, not a bad exercise though.

I agree with Inkz, Larry. The left eye especially. The white bleeds over too much, on the inside. Also, the white look unreal because they are so intense. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be intense, but this just doesn't look right. I'd change the blend mode or just bring down the opacity. The lips, somewhat the same, IMO that is. Too bright. But more so, the color seems to bleed over here also. Really zoom in on this to see those outlines better. I sometimes use hair brushes to put back the strands I couldn't save.

The color is coming along nicely; still has just the flattest feel to me and the left side of the face loses the shadow or gets to deep a shadow more to the point. BUT, that may be your personal choice. One more thing (don't hate me), her right shoulder is noticeably cut out wrong. The curve doesn't seem to connect properly and there is a jagged piece out of her arm.

That said . . . it's really very nice. I love the background and the fractal wrapping around her. It's quite a transformation from the original. Shockingly so :shocked: and not in a bad way. Bravo.

That happens a lot once you post an image on the forum. For some reason, maybe because it is now on display, you see more (unfortunately the shortcomings) than you do on PS or whatever program you're using. I think it's Photoshop having a good laugh: "Guru? You don't say?!"

Here is an illustration of what I have been saying about skin color being more than one color. A lot of people don't seem to care about this when doing colorizations and such, but I do. Most of the time the differences are subtle, but there is usually a gradation of yellow-pink -brown, orange - brown - violet, and so on depending on race and other factors.

I've demonstrated by using the brush to choose a skin color and painting a swath over it.

colorManip.jpgcolorManip2.jpg

Clare's comments about skin being composed of many colors are right on the mark. This was known from the Renaissance, but reached a pinnacle of understanding and application with Eugène Delacroix in the late 1800's and painters that followed in his footsteps.

The concept is even appreciated and used by contemporary makeup artists.

Tom

ALB, this is the issue for me. I suggested you look at the use of varying color areas in the face, for greater fullness and richness of texture, light, and shadow. Instead, you play with adjustments. I don't understand. This is not the first time you have totally not addressed the advice you asked for, and not even mentioned that you chose not to do it or why you chose not to do it? Did you just somehow overlook that post, lol?

Clare, is that you? The green online light is blinding I cant see.......:mrgreen:

Clare, I'm sorry. I did not interpret your post like that. Is this the post your referring to?
"I agree with Inkz, Larry. The left eye especially. The white bleeds over too much, on the inside. Also, the white look unreal because they are so intense. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be intense, but this just doesn't look right. I'd change the blend mode or just bring down the opacity. The lips, somewhat the same, IMO that is. Too bright. But more so, the color seems to bleed over here also. Really zoom in on this to see those outlines better. I sometimes use hair brushes to put back the strands I couldn't save.

That said . . . it's really very nice. I love the background and the fractal wrapping around her. It's quite a transformation from the original. Shockingly so :shocked: and not in a bad way. Bravo."

I addressed the eye issue and the lips. I tried to remove the flatness..I mean I am the one that obviously doesn't understand. Sorry. I reckon I am too stupid to understand your advice, had I seen what your referring to below I still would not have known exactly what you were talking about in the way of a procedure.
ALB, this is the issue for me. I suggested you look at the use of varying color areas in the face, for greater fullness and richness of texture, light, and shadow. Instead, you play with adjustments.
(Where?) I don't understand. This is not the first time you have totally not addressed the advice you asked for, and not even mentioned that you chose not to do it or why you chose not to do it? Did you just somehow overlook that post, lol?
Huh?

Back