What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Effect] PLEASE help me discover what effect this is?!

Heczia

Hello!
PLEASE help me find out Exactly what I need to do/use to create this effect!

I have looked everywhere to no avail :(

If you reccomend topaz etc please could you also tell me the settings to achieve this look, With out sounding disrespectful I only want to know pretty much exactly how I can achieve this look and don't want effects like it!

Thank you in advance for any help!

Heczia

Not allowed to pos tlinks :/

On Facebook or Twitter please type - Beyond The Buzzer and check their images! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

use the image insert option

it looks partly: filter>artistic>plastic warp

But I think this isn't just one effect, but many effects on top of eachother

Last edited:
Thanks, sorry (noob mistake) :p
and I have to admit I did try that filter and though it was slightly similar, but when I go back and look at their images it's just not as good. I think you are right about the effects on top eachother, just gotta find out which ones :p

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF THE IMAGE EFFECT I NEED!

150006_202364786554983_1637420462_n.jpg

I was just tring that! It looked similar but again, not nearly as good :/
Thanks for the response though :) Maybe I need to play around with these effects!

You'll need to copy the original layer, apply the filter as desired, then change the blending mode to overlay. It could also be a combination of filters so do some experimenting.

You might also find that using the HDR effect will allow for some of the color and lighting vivdness. Or like RTC said, duplicate layers with different blend modes and opacities, like screen or vivid light or both and so on. Even try playing around with levels to decrease the range of light to dark. But I do think chrisix is right about the plastic wrap. Look at the B&W girl's arm. Looks like plastic wrap to me. But there is more than one effect in usage here I am pretty certain.

Looks like a quick HDR layer applied, then do a filter/stylize/diffuse/anisotropic to me:mrgreen:

You might also find that using the HDR effect will allow for some of the color and lighting vivdness. Or like RTC said, duplicate layers with different blend modes and opacities, like screen or vivid light or both and so on. Even try playing around with levels to decrease the range of light to dark. But I do think chrisix is right about the plastic wrap. Look at the B&W girl's arm. Looks like plastic wrap to me. But there is more than one effect in usage here I am pretty certain.

Very Helpful! I was playing around and discorvered an effect very much like it :) Thanks

Looks like a quick HDR layer applied, then do a filter/stylize/diffuse/anisotropic to me:mrgreen:

YOU ARE GOD.

I had discovered adding a HDR layer and then filter plastic wrap and it looked close but this THIS is perfect, some tweaking and I should have it down to a tea :p
THANKS

This took me under 10 minutes to accomplish. Select girl, refine edge, copy from background. Adjustments>desaturate on the original layer. Go to image>adjustments>HDR toning. Mess around with sliders. Make smart object and apply filter>artistic>plastic wrap with smoothness at max, detail and highlights about a third of the way and use the filter mask to remove the greying effect of the filter and just take it out where you think it will look better. I think it gets close to what you want to achieve. Your example uses more details of the plastic effect and probably erases them as I did but to a lesser degree. It also has more extreme HDR Toning applied. My image just didn't call for that and I just couldn't make it too ugly, XD.

Intervention_by__rainmanIntervention_by__rainman.jpg

Original image: Intervention_.jpg

Last edited:
Thats awesome, I got this from applying Diffuse - Anisotropic as suggested in an earliar post then adding a HDR Layer :) I will try your version next :D

Wroten 2.png

LOL, that's Goddess, capital G please. Actually, I'm just Aunty Clare. And now you got me going. I did one more, quick and dirty selection so . . .

I used more extreme settings all around, on both the HDR and plastic wrap. The last thing I did was select the dress and use a hue/sat adjustment layer to give it a kind of chartreuse glow. One thing more I might do if I were making this for myself would be to initially, after desaturating the original layer, apply a msak and put some color back in. Or you can use a B&W adjustment layer.

Original is Tracks by faestock@deviantarts.com

Tracks by faestockOriginal.jpg

After adjustments

Tracks by faestock.jpg

BTW, I find the quick select tool works really well for this kind of selection. Zoom in and perfect the edges, then use select>refine edges. A more accurate and controlled way is to use the pen tool and refine edge. You can see in the first one I didn't select the fine hairs but they are still there in the black and white background. Makes it oh so much easier than trying to extract or put back in the missing flyaways -- a tedious process, but not necessary for this kind of composition.

Thanks for all the help :)

While on the subject, any tips on perfecting the refine edge tool? I usually cut out an image with pen tool or polygonal lasso tool and then refine edge, but usually end up zooming in and making it perfect which takes ages! Could you tell me the best way to use it? Such as view mode, radius etc

Where to start. I don't know what might be your proficiency with the pen tool, but the more you practice and learn tips the easier and faster it gets., If you make your anchor points inside the area, like inside an arm rather than on the edge, and stay zoomed in as close as you can so you make fewer adjustments, you may not even need to use the refine edge or refine mask option. I hardly ever do when I use the pen tool. Always go back over your work and adjust the path where needed. This is less needed if you are zoomed in when you work. Of course, I've often gotten 6 anchor points into a selection before I realized I was going into the clothing by following an arm or something. So you also have to zoom out to the big picture now and again.

I almost never use the polygonal but combined with the free lasso it works well for some images especially if there are an abundance of hard, straight edges. You can use it like a jig saw to make curves.

As for using refine edge/mask, my favorite settings are smooth and shift edges. If I'm making a complicated extraction that I am planning to mask, I like smart radius. Used correctly the tool moved around the soft edges gets rid of bits of the background you don't want. Very handy. In these cases I also click the decontaminate colors. Once you make the mask you can always go back into refine mask and go over it again. Just be careful with radius, experiment and watch the results. Pick the best background/view mode in your choices so you have good contrast to see the effects.

But don't expect that every pen tool selection and every refine edges and manual brushing on a mask to refine even further is going to be fast. Some are slow and painstaking. But the results are worth it. My 3 p's of PS (and members are probably getting tired of me saying it) are patience, practice, and passion. Have fun, enjoy it, and you will get a lot less frustrated. Oh yeah, lean on us all you want. We learn from your questions as much as you do. Sometimes we have to go in a try something we haven't used much to come up with the effect someone wants. I don't use HDR Toning much, so it was a lot of fun to play with it. That ought to be a 4th p of PS, but the 3 Rs' of learning and all that. Maybe I'll switch out patience with play!

Hey, just wondering what app you all were referring to above? Been trying to figure out the same thing

Not everyone as 'plug ins' though Tom.

Back