What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to make this faded effect on the banner ?

balavalli

how to make this faded effect on the banner ? is a path and Gaussian blur?? i really like the frost effect in there.Any help or tutorial please?

thank you

frost.jpg

New layer square marquee tool draw out box shape fill with white, Making sure your box is still selected filter > blur > Gaussian blur to desired amount.

Hoogle thanks you for your prompt reply .But am asking the frosty effect not the fade in effect please ? Again really so kind of yoyr for the prompt reply.

You can also try....

Duplicate upper half of image starting from above couples knees - flip it and move to look like reflection.

Select the image on layer and add Gaussian blur..... I hid the selection ants on my example.....

portrait.jpg

and use the blur tool set with at large brush size to blur the edges more.... that is if you want to reproduce the look on that image you supplied.

Another thing you can do is soften the transition line between the focused and blurred halves.

Screen Shot 2014-02-09 at 1.12.36 PM.png

Just add a layer mask to the duplicated section that you have applied the Gaussian blur. Then select your Gradient Tool, open your gradient editor, choose the Foreground to Transparent preset, make sure your gradient is set to linear, then on the layer mask, pull a gradient from top to bottom. Hold the shift key to align the gradient.

Screen Shot 2014-02-09 at 1.12.24 PM.png

Although following the advice already given will replicate the look, the 'effect' in the source image, is a setting on an image slider with a blur effect and low opacity white background for the text and navigation area. If you find out what jquery plugin that is, you won't need to recreate this look, but I suppose without being privy to the information as to why you are trying to do this, there is no real way of knowing whether we have advised you in the most appropriate way.

gb5dytl0.png

Last edited:
True....

Hoogle's suggestion may also work with the inclusion of lowering the opacity of the white filled blurred layer.

All depends on the OP's image and what look he wants to achieve. So many ways to do it.....

Although following the advice already given will replicate the look, the 'effect' in the source image, is a setting on an image slider with a blur effect and low opacity white background for the text and navigation area. If you find out what jquery plugin that is, you won't need to recreate this look, but I suppose without being privy to the information as to why you are trying to do this, there is no real way of knowing whether we have advised you in the most appropriate way.

View attachment 42003

This is a simple observation and I don't know if it is any help. I think the frosty effect is due to the colors of the background, then adding the blur. If you want, you could make a silvery layer above the background and try blending effects and opacity settings. Just a guess. But the bluish colors lend a frostiness themselves, IMO. You might even try using filter clouds on an above layer with the color set appropriately and see what results you get.

I think dv8's example probably shows you the result you want.

Last edited:
I might be wrong but it looks to me like there's 2 "frost" layers over the romantic scene portrait.

If it's a frosty look he wants, here's another way....

Create new layer on which apply MENU>FILTER>RENDER>CLOUDS. Hit CTRL_F to repeat the filter to get a look you want.

In Select>Color Range, select the white. OK. Hit delete to remove black.

Apply Gaussian Blur. Duplicate layer.

Create a selection on layers and delete parts you don't want.

Lower layer opacity on each layer.

You may also select black in the Select Color Range and delete white. Play with the Mode settings and effect/adjustment opacity for each layer (for CS or CC versions).

You can also use/create different cloud effect layers.

This may look better with an appropriate looking image like what the OP supplied..... Done in PS7 (open at the time.. lol) but also applies with later versions.

frost-effect.gif

just another shot in the dark.........

And by the looks of this, the creator may have did what I first outlined earlier with more blur amount and a sideways distort. Same goes with that on the far right but with a higher blur setting and moved into place.

Compare the ghostly silhouette with the couples blurred reflection.... the basic shape is there....

frost.jpg

How About This sam??

i found nice banner image and i would like to know how to make these effects? I think they are Gaussian blur effects amd masks .Please Gurus teach me. I attached all the images . Thansk in advance . I strongly belive these effects are very useful to all the Photoshop users who wanted to be a layout designers. Thank you once again .

This is the Banner image

bala1.jpg

This is the stock image

depositphotos_5351087-Rear-view-closeup-of-a-young-man-working-of-a-laptop.jpg

In looking at the banner image, I think the guy was removed from his background, then placed on the cloudy background. The fade effect in this image is created with the Brush Tool on a new layer.

These are exaggerated so you can see what I see in your sample...

Subject removed from his BG and placed on a cloudy BG.
Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 12.11.21 PM.png

Then the bad Brush work.....
Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 12.11.41 PM.png

Back