What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Align/distribute layers" tool aligning separate text layers unevenly

Tracy Berna

I've been working on an image wherein I'm making titles with each word saved on its own layer. When I select all the layers, choose the Move tool and then choose "align bottom edges" from the tool bar up above, some of the layers align but there's always one that's off in its own orbit, way up above or below. Additionally, when I've tried to distribute the layers I get wonky, uneven results there - things don't look the least bit even. I have another computer that has CS3 on it, and on that version this method works fine. This computer is newer, has CS4, and I'm not getting the results I expect.

I checked the leading and the baseline shift for all the text and made all the settings the same, thinking maybe they were adding some invisible area either above or below the layers; I checked to make sure there weren't returns in my text layers that I wasn't aware of, and there weren't. What could I be unknowingly doing to make the layers not align/distribute right?

"Align/distribute layers" does not distribute space between layers, it works out the spacing from the center of the layers, this can give undesired results.
Distribute space can be done but need a script.
Trevor Morris has one that might be of use:-
Adobe Photoshop Scripts | Trevor Morris Photographics

I also have one that will try to do a row, columum or grid of layers (Distribute Layers)
Scripts R Us

Hope these help.

Thank you sincerely for replying, Paul, but I have to say that doesn't make sense to me. If I have four instances of text, and I choose them all and say "align bottom edges," why shouldn't it do just that? You know, just what it says on the tin? Why would I need a separate script for what purports to be a built-in function? Again, I'm asking sincerely, as well as trying to clarify what I want to do.

It sounds like what you are doing should work the way you want. I'm trying to duplicate it on CS5 and it works fine.

My example here was with 7 text layers, Align bottom edges and then Distribute left edges. I don't know why it isn't working for you. How many layers are you working with?

Okay, I think I've figured out my problem with the "align bottom edges" thing, particularly with text. It's a little bit "duh," actually. :redface:

Here's what I started with:
text1.jpg

Then I aligned the bottom edges, and got this:
text2-align-bottom-edges.jpg

whereupon I realized the bottom edges were aligned perfectly...it's just that I wasn't counting the bottom of the "y" as the bottom edge - I was expecting the program to know it was supposed to hang down below the baseline. So, in that, I'm a dork. :redface:

As proof, if I take the "y" out I get this:
text5-align-bottom-edges-success.jpg

However, I still don't understand why, if I then hit "distribute left edges," I get this:
text6-distribute-left-edges-fail.jpg

How are those evenly distributed left edges? ::is still mystified, about that at least::

It's because of the y .... the align function does not take descenders or ascenders into consideration, . It treats it like any object.

You might have to compensate that by eye.... simply drag down a vertical guide line it up to the base of other text and nudge the troublesome text in place.

Last edited:
It's because of the y .... the align function does not take descenders or ascenders into consideration, . It treats it like any object.

You might have to compensate that by eye.... simply drag down a vertical guide line it up to the base of other text and nudge the troublesome text in place.

Thanks. :) Yeah, I noticed that when I was making the graphics for my reply above. I still don't know why I got the results I did from the "distribute left edges" command, though (see pic above). Not that it's that important at present, but I'm still curious.

It does that because Photoshop does not distribute the space between layers evenly. It is worked out from the center of the layers. It does look like it will work only if the layers are the same width. To evenly space them you need one of the above scripts.

Back