What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Brush Program Hang Ill 10

lindaw

Power User
Ok I think I posted this somewhere before but I cannot find the thread. Anyway I am trying to use the brush in Ill 10 and every time I use the paintbrush the program hangs and barfs. I reset the prefs and still the same issue. Running Ill 10 on W2K 1gig of memory, scratch disk on F drive, program on D drive, source file on E drive. The paintbrush is the only tool that is doing this to the program. HELP..... :(|

Well... it's been awhile since you last posted Linda so... i'm assuming the worst has happened? [confused]

btw... you didn't mentioned what speed cpu you have. That matters in this scenario.

Hey Mark.... still having the problem. I have a Pent III 1ghz. Not sure what is going on. All other tools work fine except for the paint brush. If I draw even a line the cpu maxes out and the program hangs and will not work any more until I have to end task and restart it.

I replaced the prefs, no go, uninstalled, cleaned the reg, reinstalled, no go. It is only the paintbrush everything else works fine. I even used the small default brush thinking maybe my "request" was non standard and it did the same thing. The pencil tool works fine, pen tool, etc. I tried using my mouse not my Wacom and still get the system hang. :(|

What video card do you have? It may be a problem of redrawing the screen with a textured view icon. When your vid card can't handle, or if it hasn't OpenGL (or if OpenCL is switched on and you don't have it), your processor has to do the calculation for the screen too, and this can lock up a puter.

Hey Erik. I have an Nvidia Riva TNT2 card OpenGL. My video card went out a few weeks ago and I replaced it with an exact replacement. I always buy two when it comes to hardware for all our systems at home. The paintbrush worked fine then all of the sudden it didn't. So that lead to the original thread I had. Deleted the prefs and it worked fine. Now nothing is helping. Running a generic color profile based on my Sony Trinitron Monitor so nothing freeky there. The file I was working on is from a client. Basic black and white with an outline of an object they wanted pathed in Ill to smooth it out. The file is an EPS file.

hmm... i would've said vCard also for this.

If you have OpenGL, try disabling it. It's been my experience that certain programs just don't like it. Mine have been 3D apps but it can't hurt to try it in this case also.

also TNT2 is 16 (perhaps 32) MB. This is realy low for PS and Illustrator in newer versions.
Did you download the latest drivers?

If this cannot be solved, you may want to go to the Adobe Forums and explain your problem there.

Thanks Erik and Mark. What type of video card would you suggest? I have used this type for two years with no problems but sometimes you just gotta upgrade ;)

Because you need nothing extreme, I would suggest nothing very expensive or high end, with, say, some 32 or 64 MB. With 128 you are safe for a long time. Personally, I'd go for something like a ATI Radeon 9200 or so. Higher is needed for games. Not for Photoshop or the web.

Otoh: I am not certain that it will help, so don't shoot me if it doesn't!
You may want to try to download the newest drivers, uninstall the old ones and reinstall with the new ones before spending money.

Thanks Erik. Yeah this is a graphic machine only and does nothing else since I have two more for other things. I like to keep everyone in their corner so they play nice.

Will do some more trouble shooting and see what I can find. If I draw small lines say 1-2 inches it works but if I go over that without lifting the pen then it barfs. I am running the latest Wacom drivers and video drivers. It was working fine till the other day then it threw a hissy on me.

Ok it is working now. Not sure why. Maybe the planets are in alignment :rofl: Thanks for the help.

Coffee is on.....time for zombie mode!! 8}

Back