What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D [Caution] Some Nudity here

Tron

Guru
Lancelot and Guinivire- inspired by the move -First Knight - during the quiet time in the frorest

hmmm. Theres something about the background and the difference between the bg and the charectars that makes it have a lower quality look. The background seems to blurred or unfocused. Other than that, I think it looks good. :)

I mean... its true that this is about 3d... but I think not only should you do good on the 3d part, but the bg too, since it would most definately make it look better.

I blurred the background on purpose, I thought it would give it a softer look. Maybe not [confused]

Greetings Rick,
One of the things that's always been problematic about 3D modeling (particularly with Poser) is how it makes skin look VERY plastic or too even in tonality and light. Facial features are also very artificial in appearance.

Skin has lots of light and reflective variations. Perspiration will make certain parts of the body shine while other parts will be matte.

There's also skin texture (although in this image, it would be difficult to see).

Photoshop is, of course, the perfect tool to bring these subtle touches to a 3D model of a human character.

The blurring of the background looks fine as an extended focal length but it does focus greater attention to the unnatural skin due to unmatched lighting from the environment to the models.

That being said; these models are very nicely done and are very close to looking natural and realistic. Good work!

Rick said:
I blurred the background on purpose, I thought it would give it a softer look.
I think blurring the background is a good idea. It creates depth and moves the focus to the main subject and avoids too many distractions.
However it's better to create a gradual blur which makes it look more realistic. You do that by duplicating the background, blurring it with lens blur (don't use gaussian blur) and adding a mask with a linear gradient.

Another thing to improve the image; make the shadows on the models less dark. Look at the background (the trees for example) and notice the that there aren't many really dark shadows. Now compare this with the models. Do you notice how the lighting on the models is in conflict with the background?

And Rick; get rid of the purple lights on the guy's back; it will make the scene look more natural. I did a quick correction in Photoshop, but you'll have better results when you do it in Poser.

Back