What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change to white with transparent background?

smclintock

Hi all,

I'm trying to convert an image that currently has a black foreground and white background to a white foreground and transparent background, but getting no where with my basic Photoshop skills!

I keep getting sharp black borders around the car so was wondering if anyone could help?

Thanks!

Fotolia_30714185_XL.jpg

I'm not sure if this was what you was looking for, but here is a shot. The background is completely transparent and the foreground is white/black. I made two different pictures, one with a white foreground and one with a black foreground. Also, to keep transparency into an image you have to use a .png format.

Black foreground image
http://i.imgur.com/1ozfFer.png?1

White foreground image
http://i.imgur.com/WeLsb4i.png?1

Load the image into Photoshop, click Ctrl+i, then go to the channels tab and to Ctrl+click the thubnail on the RGB channel. click back onto your layers tab and do Ctrl+c. Open a new layer and press Ctrl+v and then hide the original image.

vc2njs6p.png

Excellent Spruce! I have never thought to do it this way!! Thanks!

Here is another way as well.

Open your image. Duplicate and turn off the original.
On the duplicated layer, hit Command + I to invert the image.

Before
Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 10.02.08 AM.png

After
Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 10.06.50 AM.png

Go to SELECT > COLOR RANGE...

Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 9.54.59 AM.png

When the Color Range window opens, use the eyedropper to select the black area. One click on any of the black.

Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 9.55.15 AM.png

This will make a selection of the black.
From here you can hit the delete key or you can apply a layer mask. Command + D to deselect.
If you use a layer mask, you may have to reverse it.

Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 9.56.03 AM.png

Last edited:
No problem!

There's also the Blend if option as well.

Open your image. Duplicate and turn off the original.
On the duplicated layer, hit Command + I to invert the image.
Double click the layer to open Layer Styles.
Under Blending Options and Blend If and this layer....
Grab the slider on the left and drag until the black is gone.

Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 11.02.09 AM copy.png

I'm almost positive that all the methods shown on this thread are possible in Photoshop Cs3 and above. I have no Idea about earlier Photoshop. If you are using a Macintosh, the keyboard shortcuts may be different!

Back