What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dashed Lines

lindaw

Power User
Working on a logo and I need dashed lines and or dots around an object. I made a pattern but the dashes only show up on the top and bottom of the object not the sides. Is there any way in pshop to get dashes, dots etc as a border around all sides and not just the top and bottom?

The pattern I made was a file 10px by 1px then I made a colored area of 8px and saved that as a pattern. Works great for the top and bottom but not the sides. Maybe I should have made an X pattern and did 8px across and 8 px top to bottom? :(|

Would Illustrator serve best for this maybe?

Make the dotted lines a pattern by clicking edit>>define pattern
Then add a new layer. Press the controls "control" & "backspace" at the same time.
Windows>> layers .. Set fill at 0%
Go to layer>> layer style>> stroke
Set stroke structure: position to inside
Set fill type to pattern, click on your pattern save

Wa la!<3

Hi Linda...

I'm afraid you're trying to perform a function better done with a Vector program. But it is possible in PS, under certain situations.

In PS i believe the only time you can get an effect like the one you want is to stroke a path using a brush. And you have to set your brush options to make sure the 'direction' is set correctly to allow your brush to flow in the direction of your outline; i.e. around your shape. Look under the "Shape Dynamics" tab, you'll see "Angle Jitter". Leave that setting at '0' but change the 'Control' option to 'Direction'.

Your shape must be a true path also Linda. You cannot Stroke just any shape in this manner. And you cannot Stroke a Vector Path either. It has to be an actual 'Path' -- which you can create using any of the shape tools and setting them to 'Paths'. Use the Boolean functions to combine shapes/paths if need be.

Hope this helps. And i hope i understood your need correctly.

Have a good one.

Mark (aka theKeeper)...

Last edited:

Back