What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Font Management

nitrobutler

Power User
Hi all
In both PScs2 and Illy cs2 my font list also include other program fonts. My headache is how do I remove my chess program fonts (which appears as garbled chess notation and diagram squares).
I know there is a way to remove them from adobes font lists, and not delete them from my chess program. Any help would be appreciated :cry:

some more details please. Is it a Mac or PC? Do you have a font manager other than system fonts?
OS X"s font manager is really somewhat confusing compared to OS9. Do you use Suitcase? and lastly, exactly what harm is being done by your chess program's fonts being in with your system fonts? With a good font manager, (suitcase) I've found it beneficial to keep all my fonts in folders that are not in the system library. I keep the fonts separated by type, family etc. on flash memory sticks.

Hey RM,
I'm using a PC (XPpro) and I don't have any font managers (ie Suitcase).
It's not creating a problem with either programs but I'm a bit anal about these things, every thing has its place, and every thing in its place, sort of thing ;\

then I'm stumped pard. The only place to keep active fonts (to my knowledge anyway) on a PC would be c>windows>fonts and the adobe font file. \:/

ronmatt said:
then I'm stumped pard. The only place to keep active fonts (to my knowledge anyway) on a PC would be c>windows>fonts and the adobe font file. \:/

adobe font file?

My adobe loads all fonts from the windows/font folder. All 4,946 of them :D

4946? [stuned] Now I understand why you complained about slowness in another thread with CS2.
Frankly, it is way too much!
If you do not want to use a font manager, disable font preview in the preferences. Also, as Gaussian stated it, update to 9.01, it fixes some issues.

Well it does go slow with the font, and so what I'm thinking about doing is taking the fonts out of the main font folder, and then getting some kind of font viewer, so when I do ever need a special font, I can search for one, and then temporarily drop it into the windows font folder.

But the other slowness isn't from the massive amount of fonts.

If some of the fonts are poorly coded, they might cause a memory leak in the font rendering, eating up your memory.
If it is a display slowness, do not use the precise cursor while painting, use the center arrow, or update to 9.01

sPECtre said:
If some of the fonts are poorly coded, they might cause a memory leak in the font rendering, eating up your memory.
If it is a display slowness, do not use the precise cursor while painting, use the center arrow, or update to 9.01

I did update to 9.01 just last night and I don't use the precise cursor. I changed the settings so Adobe didn't preview the font, and now things are super fast. I think it's just because loading previews for 4,000+ fonts at the same exact time isn't a small task! :D

Told you so ;)
I heard a lot of comments that it helped tremendously on the Adobe Forums.

Alistair said:
My adobe loads all fonts from the windows/font folder.? All 4,946 of them?

4946 multiplied by 1/2 second to view each one, makes 2473 seconds divided by 60 makes 41 minutes and 13 seconds? \:/

Heck, where am I calculating wrong? \:/ :D

Faster than half a second to load a font preview Guassian. Or at least I'd think so with my computer. It literally takes about 35 seconds to load up photoshop.. and less than 1/2 second to get a browser up [honesty] So I'd think that 1 font would be faster than half a second.

- Al

I'm talking about actually viewing all 5,000 fonts one for one, not loading them. :p

What you need is a font manager.

I'm serious, if you're working on a design that doesn't need for example script or futuristic fonts, why showing them in your fonts preview, it only slows things down.
If you do it the right way you don't even need to close and restart Photoshop to switch fonts. ;)

Man o' man, I can't believe you keep 5000 fonts active without a font manager. If you don't have the loot for a commercial solution, try an open source app. Google it and you'll find a whack of them.

Other than killing the font preview, only using the Info Palette, when you need it also keeps a lot of XP machines running at a better rate. I've been reluctant to go 9.01, as I've heard of as many new bugs, than were solved. My XP machine has a load of horsepower, but to be honest my Mac has performed perfectly from day one with CS2, with a lot less issues.

Gaussian said:
I'm talking about actually viewing all 5,000 fonts one for one, not loading them. :p

What you need is a font manager.

I'm serious, if you're working on a design that doesn't need for example script or futuristic fonts, why showing them in your fonts preview, it only slows things down.
If you do it the right way you don't even need to close and restart Photoshop to switch fonts. ;)

Have any suggestions for free font managers? I'm not lazy; I can go out there and find one myself, but I wonder if anyone is already using one that they'd suggest.

- Al

Back