What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haveing Computer problem can anyone help

Tron

Guru
Lately when I try to install a new program I get this message and I can't continue. Anyone have any ideas?

Rick that's a 16bit application compatibility error. I believe it basically means... the OS you're on doesn't fully support running antiquated 16bit apps. Those are from back in Win3.1 & Win95 days.

What OS do you have?

Rick, if you run into this it might be that some of the following files are missing from \WINNT\System32:

Config.nt
Autoexec.nt
Command.com

Check to see that these files are there. If not, expand them from the install CD and copy them to \WINNT\System32
They'll be in the \I386 folder as

Config.nt_
autoexec.nt_
command.co_
From a command prompt window, type

Expand /?
to get instructions for using Expand

Rick,
The problem seems to be that your autoexec.nt file is either corrupt or missing. We have been running into this problem where I work. What we do is replace the file in the Windows/System32 folder.

Change the attributes to Read Only and Hidden.

To do that, after you replace the file, right click on it, go to properties, and under the General Tab, place check marks in those fields. You may have to change your folder options to view hidden files if you haven't already.

To do that, open up My Computer, Click on Tools, and then click on the View tab. Scroll down and you will see an option that says Show hidden files and folders. Enable this option. You will get a warning, but tell it ok. Hope this helps, and seems to work on my end.

If you can't find the file using JoeD's method, e mail me and I will be happy to send you one.

chuck.hill@gmail.com

Chill

Back