What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to reveal a background layer

webuxer

Hello,
I need some help from the experts, I took the attached images using a tripop. 1st I took the image labeled "background" then I added the subject and took the same picture. It might seem funny, I had someone covered with a green sheet hold the baby. How can I remove the person from the front layer and revel the background layer to fill that spot? Im in the process of learning photoshop and would be greatfull if someone can provide me instructions of any tip on what I need to do to accomplish this.

Thank you

background.jpeg

front layer.jpeg

One of the most basic and important tools in Photoshop is a Layer Mask, which will do exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Go to YouTube and query Photoshop Layer Mask Tutorial and you'll find tons of them. "Phlearn" usually has excellent tutorials (link below). To do what you want, you will add a layer mask to your top image—the one with the green person—and paint with a black brush inside the layer mask to make the green person disappear and reveal what's underneath in the layer below. If you make a mistake, change the brush color to white and paint over that spot in the layer mask to bring back the original Layer2 image.

Once you start working within the mask and masking away the green person, you'll quickly realize that the tricky part is to make clean, accurate brush strokes around the image of the child. You can do it by hand if you have patience, but the general technique is to make an accurate "selection" of the child so that your layer mask will be very precise. There are many, many ways to make selections and all of us on this website have been working for years trying to get better at that. This particular image is fairly easy and you'll probably get a decent result using the Quick Selection Tool.

Hope this gets you started.

Rich

Place the layer with the boy over the background layer and add the layer mask. Use the Brush Tool and a softer brush set at about 80% to work on the masking.

Finished image.
Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 11.01.36 PM.png

What the layer mask will look like.
Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 11.04.16 PM.png

Layers panel.
Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 11.01.51 PM.png

Rich54 and IamSam already answered your question, layer mask is what you need. When you do the mask it helps by lowering the opacity for the boy layer on top so you can see where you're painting in the mask.

I really wanted to pop in and second PHLEARN, Aaron (the guy who runs it) knows his stuff. He charges money for his tutorials on his website - phlearn.com - but those are his more advanced techniques. He has a ton of youtube videos and if you can follow along learning his methods then you will be on your way to being an advanced user.

I can't speak highly enough of phlearn.

Back