What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to save a file as gif!!!!!

Hey all,

I'm new here & need help desperately! I am trying to submit a t-shirt design to threadless.com & i can't save my file as a gif. When i'm in File i can only Save or Save as, i'm not given Save to Web option.......is that what i need in order to save as GIF???

IF i need to enter Image ready i can't do that either, or perhaps i can but clicking on it doesn't work.
What do i need to do??

I don't know what i'm doing & i'm pulling my hair out....HELP!!!!!! - Denise

I'm not sure why you need GIF ... it's an almost useless format other than for certain web applications...

but anyway, just chose "save for web" and on the right hand side you'll have format options where you can choose GIF from the drop down. Then you should be good to go.

Welcome to PSG.

MindBender said:
but anyway, just chose "save for web"
She just said she couldn't do that:
When i'm in File i can only Save or Save as, i'm not given Save to Web option

Welcome Denise. Go to the menu and make sure that you have not selected 32 bits/channel:

Hi,
I checked to see what i had and it was 8 bits/channel , so that's not it.
What else could it be??
Thanks for that suggestion, Denise

If I remember correctly, to get the file you need, keep it at 8 bit and use Indexed Color format to get the .gif option in the drop down. Unless the company you stated requires a gif though, I do not see a reason to use that file format unless you are possibley making an animation for the web.

I just changed to indexed color & that didn't help either.

Is the problem that i'm using a MAC? Someone told me i may need to get on a PC.

still pulling my hair out, Denise

denise beaulieu said:
Is the problem that i'm using a MAC? Someone told me i may need to get on a PC.

No, shouldn't matter at all.

If you don't care, you can always send the file to picture.gif and I'll have a look at it.
Problems like this are often solved within a minute just by looking at the content, now I keep guessing. Btw, have you tried resetting the peference file?

denise beaulieu said:
IF i need to enter Image ready i can't do that either, or perhaps i can but clicking on it doesn't work.
You can't open ImageRead at all? That's strange... I would almost suggest uninstalling/reinstalling Photoshop.

SEP said:
If I remember correctly, to get the file you need, keep it at 8 bit and use Indexed Color format to get the .gif option in the drop down.

No, Save for Web and the GIF option in Save for Web are both available regardless the image mode and whether it's 8 or 16 bits, only 32 bits is not supported. Only image mode that is not suppoted by Save for Web is Multi Channel, but it will warn you about that.

gaussian said:
She just said she couldn't do that

Yeah, I was reading quickly on the way out of the house, and only correctly read the first half of that. My bad.

To actually lose the save for web feature (barring an actual corruption problem) you would be in something like multichannel as Guass mentioned. I would post the file as he suggested, rather than us guessing and guessing, it could very well be something we can pinpoint quickly upon viewing it.

Hi again,
I just tried to attach my file so you could look at it and it wouldn't let me.

This is my image size:
My pixel dimensions: 26.8M
width: 2730
height: 3426

document size:
w: 4.55
h: 5.71

Resolution:600 Could this be the problem?

Thanks for the E-mail. I opended the file in Photoshop CS, CS2 and CS3 and never had a problem with save for web, that menu entry is not grayed out and I can open it without a problem.

So obviously it's atechnical issue and most likely there is something wrong with your installation. Like I said earlier, have you tried resetting your preference file? I use Windows and don't know the shortcut for the Mac, but I'm guessing here that it's holding down shift+control+option when you start Photoshop. This fixes in general a lot of problems people have, please try it.

If that doesn't help I would really consider unistalling Photoshop, make sure that there are no leftovers and reinstall. Of course contacting Adobe is another option.

Thank you for all that you have done.

I tried the control/shift/option & nothing changed.
If it's a tech. issue i'm screwed because i downloaded online from price slash software, don't have the program to uninstall & re-install, i would have to buy the program again. #%*@ !
I checked out my preferences but i have no idea what i am looking at.... what would i need to change????
any other suggestions?

Thanks for all your time, Denise

Ah the joys of unsupported software ( why wouldn't you have backed it up on disk before installing? ) I'd do a couple of things, first, contact the people who require a .gif and see if they'll accept a different file format. Maybe a .png. second, save it as a .png, put it on a stick or disk, go to a friend who has a working version of PS and make your .gif. ( they can do it with Paint as well, if they have a windows pc ) Or third, maybe someone here will save it for you.

denise beaulieu said:
i downloaded online from price slash software, don't have the program to uninstall & re-install, i would have to buy the program again. #%*@ !

They announced on their web site: "WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING ORDERS. THANK YOU." Their product section is empty.

This all doesn't surprise me.

I'm sorry you've learned this the hard way, we continue to warn people for these sites. If in doubt about cheap offers, always ask Adobe or people on forums like this. Any cheap offer of any Adobe product should always be treated with great suspicion, also private sales.

Btw, if you downloaded the program, then where is this original file? \:/

Back