What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to save a picture to the original fieltype/quality?

wildside50

Okay, I am an absolute and utter newbie in image editing. But I've started using more images in my video work, so I need to start learning.

I'm confused about the simple act of saving. I have a .jpeg image from my camera that I opened in Photoshop and simply removed the red eye. That was all the editing I needed to do. When I go to save it back as a Jpeg, the default quality setting is "High", or 8. This makes the file size 1.8 MB. The original file was 4.6 MB. I find it odd that removing some red eye saves me 3 MB in file size.

Is there a way to, more or less, save the image back to the same quality/filetype as when you started? Or am I not even losing image quality; Photoshop is just a better Jpeg compressor than my camera?

These aren't DSLR 18 MP images I'm working with; just point and shoot stuff. But I'd sure like to know for the future. Thanks in advance, and HELLO BOARDS!

Welcome, wildside50.

8 is just the PS default setting for saving jpgs . It goes as high as 12. Save it at 11 or 12. It will more or less be at around the original size you took the shot.

I have almost same question. dv8_fx answered what is better for quality but how to know what was original compression level? I ussualy just saves with compression 12 but still wondering what was original.

Now that is a good question..... I can't confirm it... but it's something I noticed over the years with PS...

Technically.... when you save an image, PS remembers the settings of the last save you did. TECHNICALLY Speaking about PS....

I've noticed that after saving an image, close, and open a new, different image and save that new image in a new name, the settings change either hi or low depending on the quality of the image. I didn't change any setting...... Bear in mind what I just said about PS... how did that happen?

Whether that is the file's original size when it was first saved, I can not confirm this..... I can only assume that was the file's original size and setting when it was saved. ....

Don't take my word for it....

Okey, finally tested (should done like years ago) :) ... result, PS remembers jpg settings quality and format options. When saving new jpg PS offers settings from last opened image or saved image settings if saving was after opening.

Yes... but assuming the file you open was saved by someone else in another computer? Will your PS use "your" last save setting.... or is your PS detecting some other detail within the file?

Somehow PS "knows" jpg settings (tested) but i didn't find anything in File Info anything about it. So need to try Save As to get that number (litle bit odd).

Back