What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How's it look so far?

Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 12.22.46 PM.png

Hey guys, just doing a school assignment. What do you guys think so far? Are we balanced, is there something I should add or go without? Was thinking about moving the letting down to the bottom.

Hi NM, this looks great! Not sure about the ruler though, it seems out of place. Maybe a clock? I would at least center the lettering.

If nothing else, as mentioned in the previous posts, definitely fix the ruler.

That being said, I think the classroom image you are currently using as a background is too busy and visually distracts from the message, so I converted it to B&W, blurred it, added lots of noise, and gave it a sloppy dodged edge effect, all to take away from its visual importance, but let it remain in place as a visual cue. Hopefully, my noisy, old-time sepia version might even contribute a bit of an old-time feel to your "...isn't it time..." message.

Correspondingly, to increase the visual importance of the text relative to the background, I used effects such as drop shadows, stroking, and texturing of the fill of the letters. I really want the message to stand out.

However, to be honest, I don't think your message is particularly well thought out, and I don't think that the background you selected is very effective in contributing to what *I think* is the message you are trying to get across.

If your intent is to encourage kids to stay in school, you should think carefully about the text and prop(s) you select (eg, your ruler). FWIW, me being not instantly and completely sure of your intended message is a really, really bad sign. The usual problem with student designs is that a student will know what they want to say, and think it will be obvious to anyone, but they don't ask other people (ie, an impromptu focus group) if they understand the message. Put another way, most students don't see the forest for the trees.

So, I suggest you carefully consider your message and re-think the text you use to get it across. Technically, I would move the ruler down and decrease the size of the text a bit but open up the inter-letter spacing to allow the text to breathe and make room for the text efx like the stroke and the drop shadow. I didn't do this because I didn't have access to your PSD file and certainly wasn't about to do it over from scratch.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2013-02-25_ at_12p22p46PM-tjm01-acr-ps01a-01.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2013-02-25_ at_12p22p46PM-tjm01-acr-ps01a-01.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Back