What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need work

found out I need a new roof ice dams warped my roof edges and top venting big time we got clobbered this year

translation ........................... I need work.

I know I do plenty for 0$ but every little bit helps

I got ripped off by a company wanting poker themed wallpapers, and after doing them, i did not get paid, and they still used the images. It also doesn't help when a lot of the people posting jobs on here, expect people to do them for free.

Man, the safest way not to get ripped off (at least) is by asking an upfront payment.
Quantum seems so lucky. I was scammed once and learned from it.

a few minute jobs no big deal but when you get into major layers or manipulation, that where freebies hurt

although many think a few clicks and your done. which usually is not the case

Hi, I've been doing Photoshop daily for a couple years for a large company. All of our images are taken in-house on very expensive cameras using rigid standards to maintain consistency, and our imaging department adheres to very high standards when editing these photos. I've learned a lot through this company, but I feel like I'm ready to supplement my income through freelance work. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how/where to start out, what I should charge as a new freelancer, and what to do if something unexpected happens i.e. employer decides they do not want your services after you have already started or completed work? Also, I don't have much of a portfolio other than what I created in college (my current employer will not contribute their images for any outside use).

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in. I don't use a lot of forums, and this one seemed to have the most recent activity.

Start a website, display some of your work find a way to get your site promoted and go for it .it's a dog eat freelancers world out there hold on tight LOL good luck

I've been a freelancer for 6 years now. Yes there are those pitfalls , and you have to accept its part and partial of it. I've had my share of it. Even a company experiences this. But I've survived these past years - food on the table, bills paid, amenities of life and then some. It didn't make me a rich man. But I will say I'm better off than working FOR a company.

My advice to you - ACT LIKE A ONE MAN COMPANY. You have one thing going for you - you had experience in a company. Prepare your portfolio - your company is willing to release some images to you, use it. If you don't have much work samples , create a few mock up work (broshures, posters, business card designs, etc) . The goal is to show you CAN create. What these clients want to see is someone CAPABLE. Don't forget composing your introduction letters (more of like your "company's" promotional materials). Even as a freelancer, you can promote yourself , your reputation. It's all in the PRESENTATION. In fact, I know a few around here in my area with great presentation materials... but the way they do work is another story.

As time goes by, go an extra mile. I'd rent a booth at a tradeshow. 10 hours manning that booth I get a dozen sure fire clients... not bad
.. but I have to admit "WORK OVERLOAD".... oiiiii....

Find and develop a good relationship with a good service bureau / printer you can trust.... and will trust you. There are times a client may be slow in payment, and it helps if the bureau's boss understands your problem and willing to give leeway.

I don't know how things work in your area. But here, when me submit a quote, we include a clause wherein the customer has to sign that they accepted the terms and work can proceed. It's like following the process and paperwork a company does. If you have to go to court (like I have), that piece of paper HELPS.

ABOVE ALL - Go out and find / meet the clients. Make appointments, see the big guy or decision maker . My batting average is 1 client out of 8 .... and thats spread over 2/3 days at 4 hours client calls per working day. The rest of the time, I spend at home working on a project and relaxing with family (that's the fringe benefit of being on your own).

What's the worry, as time goes by, people will say "Oh this , that was designed for me by a freelancer, Mr. ...... , I'll give you his number", ... there's your extra plugging. It's all in the number of work you've made, but you don't go out there and you don't have clients. And this will matter most during your first year.

I'm not great with PS , not like others who churn out works of true art. I envy them. I'm more of a commercial user for industry- a get the thing done guy with results. I have to admit PS, in conjunction with other apps, is great in getting the work done. And it served me well all these years.

Right now, I have to accompany a client to the worksite at his expense... a new small resort... on an island. snapping pictures, sipping coconut juice... Just so I can get the feel of what it's like out here... all so I can write the copy of his resort's brochure. Where did find this client?... Of all places - in a coffee shop while taking a break after a couple of meetings.

All bragging aside.... It takes a lot of effort being on your own. But if you set your mind to it, go all out. It's your first day as a freelancer... HIT IT! Once you get moving, the rest comes.

GOOD LUCK.....

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the feedback. I love the idea of breaking free and doing creative work on my own terms. Your story sounds difficult, but the fact that you're telling it to me makes it seem more feasible. The one thing that's held me back from really trying to get out and do something on my own is the fear of the little details tripping me up, especially ones that involve legal proceedings. We live in an increasingly litigious society, and it makes me very nervous to try and take on a business of my own without having any real knowledge of how a business operates behind the scenes. But I suppose the only way to really learn is to jump in and try it out. Thanks once again for the honest and generous tale.

In truth I was quite apprehensive when I started out. What makes matters worse for me is I'm a foreigner here.

But after years of working in 2 companies, churning out at least 2 works a day for countless clients and paid a meager salary, it was obvious for me.

The START was difficult, sometimes I have to "wing it" . Don't worry about legal proceedings. The only worse thing that can happen is the client not paying you. You either fight (if monetarily , you have to) or drop it and move on. What's important is you LOOK FOR CLIENTS. Once they are there, next step is to do the work WELL, submit, IF approved, receive payment........ if on average 1 out of 10 doesn't pay or partly pays. you are still good.

And for as long as you are true to the calling, you won't go wrong. Meet promised deadlines, work within the parameters of legality, don't use copyrighted material (very rampant here in Asia, you know) , give the client the best of you in terms of getting the job done.

And remember this, THE COMPETITION MAY BE STIFF...... Like I said, It's in the PRESENTATION. In how you market yourself as a product. You have the creativity if not you wouldn't be where you are now. So it's how you attract potential clients.

ONE MORE THING.... Don't resign from your present job until you get a feel of what its like being a freelancer. Do it in steps.

Last edited:
Man, the safest way not to get ripped off (at least) is by asking an upfront payment.
Quantum seems so lucky. I was scammed once and learned from it.

Well... Been scammed around September 2010 for first time, but just for four bucks and at that period of time, I was dealing with a new client for much more than that, so whatever with the scammer... Had better business to do than fighting for a few dollars more (any Clint Eastwood icon available? :lol: )

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how/where to start out,

At the beginning, any point is a beginning, just let it evolve and like a plant, you need to spill some water from time to time all around.

what I should charge as a new freelancer,

That depends on how worthy you're and how much others think you're worth. There is also a wide range of clients, from guys that just start a business to those who already have it. The trick is knowing yourself and doing an average between your abilities and your prices.

Publish your work on some virtual gallery and see how people reacts towards your work, that will give you a nice idea to start knowing how much you worth :)

and what to do if something unexpected happens i.e. employer decides they do not want your services after you have already started or completed work?

Employer is taking your time, so emplyer must pay, whichever he liked or not what you did but keep in mind that you always have to send some watermarked examples in order to see if you're going for the right path. Also, keep in mind that you don't do infinite reviews, so set the limits from the beginning.

Also, I don't have much of a portfolio other than what I created in college (my current employer will not contribute their images for any outside use).

Then you need to work for trading: "I do free or almost free work for you but you let me put the stuff in my port" kind of thing.

I do high-end beauty and started working for free, for the love of retouching. I did my best on each picture (some of them have more than 30 hours of work). At the beginning I just used free samples found around the web, and when I became better, directly asked to some photographers their best pictures in RAW Format so they checked my work, they liked it, and they gave me freedom of retouch. That's what you can find in my portfolio. Once my portfolio got well fed, there was no more needs of working for free, nor to look for clients :)

By the way, never put bunch of work, just the best of the best. It's better having 5 pictures which are wow than hundreds that are boring (potential client will not pass to the second page).

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in. I don't use a lot of forums, and this one seemed to have the most recent activity.

You should. 100% of my knowledge comes from forums, also my clients. It's a social kind of stuff, you know. You have to be active if you want your name on Google searches :)

Have a nice weekend :)

Ø3 :)

Last edited:
Your story sounds difficult,

There are no easy ways in life (even when we were just sperm, things were tough too :D). Train hard, win easy and always with an smiley face like this -> :)

The one thing that's held me back from really trying to get out and do something on my own is the fear of the little details tripping me up, especially ones that involve legal proceedings.

Don't be affraid. Go and dance. There are no manuals, well, there are, and that's a nice way to do money! "Want to start your own business? Buy my DVD!" :D then, when you play the DVD appears exactly the same words but in caps :D There are really no manuals. Each person has its own experiences to do business (I don't do nothing related to papers like dv8_fx suggest because I've never felt the need to do it that way, which doesn't mean I may have to do it in the future), just get informed (dv8_fx nailed it when talking about a corporation of just one guy, which doesn't mean that you won't have employees in the future), but also get practice, otherwise, you would be investing your money in "how to" DVD's :) Do your own DVD of "how to". That's the best way, at least worked to me :)

We live in an increasingly litigious society, and it makes me very nervous to try and take on a business of my own without having any real knowledge of how a business operates behind the scenes. But I suppose the only way to really learn is to jump in and try it out. Thanks once again for the honest and generous tale.

Yeap, if you want real knowledge, get a real business. Our reality is not your reality, it doesn't have to work with yours just because it worked with ours. "Walker, there is no path, path is made while you walk" says a quote.

Have a nice weekend :)

Ø3 :)

Last edited:

Back