What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator and Photoshop

lindaw

Power User
I use both programs all the time and always have both proggies open. The problem.....memory/system resources. They are on my graphic machine and they are the only proggies open. Pshop is set to 50% of 1 gig of memory and of course you can't tell Ill how much memory to use so most of the time Ill hangs and barfs. Does anyone else use both at the same time? Do you have memory issues? If so is there any way to make both happy without closing pshop every time I want to work in Ill?

Thanks much for the help!! :B

I use them together all the time. Used them on 96, 192, 512, and 1.5 gb of ram without much issue depending on how you adjust your system.

What OS version and application version are you using? Illustrator 9 had HORRIBLE memory leaks that would kill it even if it was the ONLY thing open. Illustrator 10 on certain system has similar issues without the patch. Make sure you're up to the latest version of everything.

Mainly any advice would depend on what versions of everything you're running, let us know. :)

Ill 10 with the patch, PS 7 with the patch on Win 2K, 1ghz processor 1 gig of ram, 2 40 gig hard drives, one with the programs installed, the other is the scratch disk drive for both programs primary scratch, secondary scratch is on the E drive.

It only seems to happen when I use the paintbrush in Ill. The rest of the time I don't notice any problems. The brush will lay the path but will not fill then I get the nasty, "this program is not responding" error and my cpu is maxed as well as memory. I have gone off and left it thinking ok it needs to catch up. Wrong...20 min later it is still sitting there. The files range from 200x200 up to 700x700 so it isn't one particular file size that triggers it.

Thanks for helping!! :}

Well, I'm basically on a mac most of the time, so I can't test this... I did have something similar happen to me and it was just an Illustrator issue. I renamed one of my partitions that a scratch file was sitting on... illustrator would work fine and even would use the scratch file.. but when I would try to use my clipboard (copy/paste anything) it would crash the computer. I had to go and repoint the preferences to the new drives and it fixed it. This makes me think that maybe if you play with preferences a little, as well as check your system as well as application patches (illustrator is up to 10.0.3 I think) you might find something goofy. I've also seen corrupt fonts bring a system to it's knees. Odd that it's only the brushes...could be some kind of corrupt brush or something in illustrator. I've had that happen (although, mostly with photoshop since illustrator loads less presets by default). I would create some kind of preset, save it out, load it by default and somewhere down the line it would get corrupted on my drive and throw off the whole program.

Sounds like you're goin to have to be doing some sleuth work. This may well be a known issue on windows though, any windows users heard of this?

Sorry I can't be more help...hopefully something will point you in the right direction.

Hi Linda, I'm Mac as well, so these are just ideas.
Instead of using the same drive for the scratch disc, partition it into two (or more) partitions and allocate one each to PS & Illy.
Also keep the discs defragged.

The partitions for the scratch should not need the whole 40Gb, 2 or 3 Gb should be more than enough for each scratch partition. Just don't put anything else in these partitions. This would give you 35 Gb of usable disc space.

In PS General Prefs, untick the Export Clipboard option.
If you have a large file sitting on the clipboard after Copy - Pasting, use Edit > Purge > Clipboard.
Reduce the number of History steps to something practical when working on a large file.
I agree with Mind Bender about the possibility of a corrupt font. I had a goofy one which would hang Illustrator as it loaded.

Hope some of this helps.

Al.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have pshop with the main scratch on F and the secondary on E and I switched ill to have only one on the F drive and it did fine yesterday. Go figure!

Oh and thanks for banging me up side the head with the reminder of purging my clipboard! The little things you overlook when you are busy, busy, busy!

As always thanks for the wonderful help!! :} 8} :B

Back