What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Images from CS5 have different colors and look posterized in other programs/web

Antarehs

Hello!

I have an issue with the photos that are worked on in CS5 (but did not have this problem in CS2): not only the colors look quite different when the image is displayed in Windows Photo Viewer, the web, etc., but the images also look posterized in many areas. It's not a color space issue: it's already set to sRGB, and it doesn't matter if I use Save for Web or not. The images look perfect in CS5 and the histograms looks fine, but they look quite bad everywhere else.

The images worked in CS2, on the other hand, don't have this problem at all. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Gina

Can you post one of the questionable images? Under Image>Mode, is it in RGB and 8-bit? Be sure to check your Photoshop color preferences, set to sRGB.

Last edited:
Yes, RGB 8-bits. The color pref is set to sRGB.

This image is an example. IN PS it looks absolutely perfect, but in Windows Photo Viewer and elsewhere it's heavily posterized around the red hair and the chin of the boy in front, and the hand and face contour of the other boy show posterized greenish areas. The colors/tones are quite different.

As I look at it on this web site, it doesn't look as terrible as in Windows Photo Viewer or on other web sites, though it's still not right.

Thank you,

Gina

Boys_9854-5x7 2.jpg

Unfortunately, it's going to be very difficult to diagnose your problem without having the psd file for this image in front of us. Without it, the discussion will just be little more than one guess after another.

Here's a possible way around this: Since the old psd file is in storage, can you reproduce the problem with a new image and then send us that psd file?

With respect to this image, here are some of my observations:

1. It looks identical whether I view it in PS, Windows Photo Viewer, XnView, Firefox, or Irfanview. BTW, don't use the little preview version generated for in-line display in the forum thread for evaluation -- instead, drill down till you get to the original. I should point out that I have done my own tests on the forum image uploading software and find that after you drill down by clicking on the forum image several times, the final image you retrieve is bit-for-bit identical to the image that one uploaded, so there is no problem with data modification by the forum software, as long as you don't rely on the little in-line preview image.

2. I see only extremely minor posterization in the overall image. In addition, I separately examined the R, G, B channels, as well as H, S, and L channels that I generated from your image. They also looked fine.

3. The only way I could make the minor posterization visible was to use a local contrast enhancing technique that wildly exaggerates it. The 1st attached image shows the result of this.

Boys_9854-5x7-2-tjm01_exaggerate_local_contr-ps02_698px_hi-8bpc-01_orig_topaz_simplify.jpg

To give you a sense of what you are seeing, next, I intentionally posterized your image to 26 levels and then applied the same visualization technique to the version I intentionally posterized. As you can see, the extra posterization is plainly visible.

Boys_9854-5x7-2-tjm01_exaggerate_local_contr-ps02_698px_hi-8bpc-02_orig_posterize26_topaz_simpli.jpg

Without the artifact enhancement technique, even the intentionally added posterization would hardly be noticed by most viewers.

4. As you can see, the areas in which I found the most obvious (but minor) posterization (eg, the cheeks and forehead) are not the same areas that concern you. It is widely known that posterization is usually only a problem in broad areas of smoothly varying color / brightness. It is rarely a problem in highly detailed areas like hair or edges, the areas of concern to you. Is it possible you are seeing some other artifact and calling it "posterization"? I examined those areas for other artifacts such as sharpening halos and "stair-stepping". Any significant JPG compression artifacts would have shown up immediately with my local contrast enhancing technique. To be honest, I didn't see any artifacts of significance.

So, at this point, unfortunately, I really don't know what to tell you. IMHO, other than being a bit more heavily saturated and maybe softened a bit more than I prefer, IMHO, it looks like a very reasonable image, and I'm not know for soft-pedaling technical criticism.

Perhaps, as I suggested above, you can force the effect on a new image and we can figure out what's going on using that?

Sincerely,

Tom M

Last edited:

Back