What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instructions for GIMP

Did you mean you want to make it in Photoshop ?

anyways, here's how it is done..

web_Icon copy.jpg

Attachments

• web_Icon.psd
    189.2 KB · Views: 8
Did you follow the link? I copied it to a sticky for alternatives to Photoshop.
Yes I did. It leads to the Free/Cheap Alternatives to Photoshop thread.
Ok, I think my first post was a little bit confusing...
Well, you see, I use GIMP and I was interested in making those silver glossy icons that can be found in this tutorial. However, the one that made the tutorial did not use GIMP, so I'm sure on how to apply the exact same effect on the attached picture. I do have GIMP and I know how to do a few things with it. To put it in a nutshell, I want instructions for GIMP, another tutorial, not an alternative to Photoshop.
Ν.Σ.png

kind of like this? (don'e completely in GIMP)
Example.png

If so, make sure the "alpha to logo" filters are present in the filters menu before we begin.

get your image open in font of you with the layers window open too, click on the layer you wish to select the pixels of, right click it's preview icon, and select "alpha to selection"

you will get the 'ants' around the desired selection area hopefully.

if so, go to layer>new Layer, and then select the gradient fill tool and select brushed aluminium, click 'n' drag in any direction across the image to apply the gradient in the selection.

now on this new layer, go to filters>lighting and shadow> Drop shadow and just okay it as it is.

go to Filters>lighting and shadow>Lighting effects, move the blue dot in the preview to anywhere you desire, then okay it all.

now, we copy the pixels on the layer under (which doesn't have effects applied) this one using alpha to selection again and paste it into a NEW DOCUMENT (that bit is crucial)
With the new document, go to Alpha to logo>3d outline, okay it all. and then copy the result back into the document before this one (the one with the gradient stuff on) put it underneath all other layers, other than the background (click the layer in the layers window and press the down arrow at the bottom.)

and you should get something like that.

it's not perfect by all means, GIMP is quite limited by means of effects, and my text layer seems to have cut off with a random shadow for no apparent reason, hence it doesn't look very good but a little exploration of the program's filters could do it some good.

sorry if my explanation is a bit vague ask for elaboration if need be ;)

PS, you are probably going to need to anti alias that a wee bit, the lines are a tad jagged, Filter>enhance>anti alias

Last edited:
Try a gimp forum or use the links provided, this is a Photoshop site.

Try a gimp forum or use the links provided, this is a Photoshop site.
We can help GIMP users too, it's not that much of a bother, surely.

And if you do end up starting out with GIMP, as a fellow user I will be more than happy to provide advice for you

I keep using your link to PS alternatives. Thanks for creating that. You need to come back and help people who are using those, XD.

so really, it shouldn't be much of a problem if alternative program users ask a couple of Q's here now and then, so long as the help is there...

kind of like this? (don'e completely in GIMP)
View attachment 27009

If so, make sure the "alpha to logo" filters are present in the filters menu before we begin.

get your image open in font of you with the layers window open too, click on the layer you wish to select the pixels of, right click it's preview icon, and select "alpha to selection"

you will get the 'ants' around the desired selection area hopefully.

if so, go to layer>new Layer, and then select the gradient fill tool and select brushed aluminium, click 'n' drag in any direction across the image to apply the gradient in the selection.

now on this new layer, go to filters>lighting and shadow> Drop shadow and just okay it as it is.

go to Filters>lighting and shadow>Lighting effects, move the blue dot in the preview to anywhere you desire, then okay it all.

now, we copy the pixels on the layer under (which doesn't have effects applied) this one using alpha to selection again and paste it into a NEW DOCUMENT (that bit is crucial)
With the new document, go to Alpha to logo>3d outline, okay it all. and then copy the result back into the document before this one (the one with the gradient stuff on) put it underneath all other layers, other than the background (click the layer in the layers window and press the down arrow at the bottom.)

and you should get something like that.

it's not perfect by all means, GIMP is quite limited by means of effects, and my text layer seems to have cut off with a random shadow for no apparent reason, hence it doesn't look very good but a little exploration of the program's filters could do it some good.

sorry if my explanation is a bit vague ask for elaboration if need be ;)

PS, you are probably going to need to anti alias that a wee bit, the lines are a tad jagged, Filter>enhance>anti alias

Thanks a lot for the instructions! It was easy to do exactly what you did. However, there was a problem and I have no idea why did that happen.
I used the Filter in the Lighting and Shadow section (the one named Lighting Effects). In the preview everything seemed fine. However, when I applied the effect, instead of white, it was grey, so what I just made looks very dark. Should I give it a try from the beginning or there is a way to fix that?
P.S. The selected light source color is white.
P.S.2. I uploaded the picture so that you can see what I'm talking about.test.png

UPDATE:
Ok, I gave it another try. It's a lot brighter now. I did exactly the same things as before, so I don't know it's that different...Anyway, thank you for the instructions!
P.S. It's not actually ready yet. I think it needs some smoothing..I'll probably do that later.test2.png
UPDATE 2:
I improved it a little bit...
Any idea on how to fix the shadow on the bottom right side of it?

Attachments

• test2.png
    test2.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
bubble.png
I have experimented a little bit and this is my best result for the while...Well, it needs more work to clean it, but it's just a quick example...:)
First I painted the bubble, then I use "3D outline" filter and then "Chrome" filter to the picture I got. Then I added new layer, painted the place inside the outline, selected it by the color and fulfilled by bilinear blending (mingle? Don't know what's the name of the tool in English, I have Czech version of Gimp. I mean the "can" tool what fulfills place by mixing two selected colors). And in the end "drop shadow" or "Xach", decoloring of all and little bit playing with curves and covering. That's all...:)

Last edited:

Back