What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer Masks

lindaw

Power User
Ok small problem, no sleep in 36 hours and counting so please be kind :D

I have a png file, a layer mask called file1.png. I have another file, file2.gif. I want to add the file1 layer mask to file2 so I don't have to clean this thing up but for the life of me I have lost all brain activity on how to get the mask onto the gif file. I have tried loading the selection of file1 and copy that into file2 but all that does is add a layer and is no help at all.

Is there not a way to bring an external layer mask from another file into a current file and apply it?

Thanks for the help!

"I have a png file, a layer mask called file1.png. I have another file, file2.gif. I want to add the file1 layer mask to file2 so I don't have to clean this thing up but for the life of me I have lost all brain activity on how to get the mask onto the gif file. I have tried loading the selection of file1 and copy that into file2 but all that does is add a layer and is no help at all."

Step1:
When you have file 1 active (the layer with the mask), you can:

Method1: Open the Channels Palette, click on the alpha layer (that's your layer mask) and use Ctrl+A, then Ctrl.C to copy it to the clipboard
Method 2: Alt click on the layer mask icon/thumbnail in the Layers palette and use Ctrl+A then Ctrl+V to copy it to the clipboard

Step2:

Then you activate the gif, make it a layer or duplicate the background, add a layer mask by clicking the icon at the bottom of the Layers palette, Alt+click its icon/thumbnail to activate it (will be white) and Ctrl.V paste it.

Step3: Get yourself some sleep. And that's an order! ;) (take care because what you do drains a lot of energy and you become victim to negativity before you realise it.)

Back