What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mac Versus PC for Photoshop... thinking of changing over... advice please

desktop over laptop wins hands down unless you actually need a laptop I just priced what a budget performance system would cost and a high end branded system intel built and performance wise they are about equal price wise Intel vs AMD well lets just say you could buy the budget and have plenty of money left to buy adobe creative suite at the crazy price of lesss than $300 with there offer at the moment if you get a reputable dealer that you can trust I am more than willing to give you a full list of parts to build 2 x budget 2 x higher end or intel lol

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... really... I'm clueless with technology.... but I love this thread.... thank you ALL for ALL the brilliant information ;-))))))

Hi Juc1,

Putting a system together may have been more problematic in the past - with driver issues / compatability - etc. But nowadays its as simple as paint by numbers. Any questions of a technical nature will easily be answered by the parts shop. I know I have some experience with this - but it really is quite straightforward - just follow instructions - and of course do your homework wrt forums on building a computer system ie getting the right components the first time.

I can run photoshop CS5.1 on my 5 year old dell laptop without any problems (1.6ghz celeron, 2gb ram, intel chipset), they key is having your computer clean and optimized, also performance wise linux > windows > mac , i recently changed my workflow to ubuntu from windows 7 and i'm happy with it.

I personally prefer Mac over PC for Photoshop, it tends to use less ram and it runs much smoother and I tend to feel more comfortable with Macs in general, maybe that's just me but I prefer if you tried Photoshop for windows a little bit before using a virtual machine before buying a PC for it.

ubuntu 11.04 + wine 1.3 can run normal photoshop really well you just need to install it on windows and move all the files and registry to the wine folder in ubuntu and your done.

If you are looking for an inexpensive laptop for graphics (not for gaming) I bought an HP dm4-1060 it has a 5i core intel processor and if you load windows ultimate 64 bit and get rid of the crap they give you with the comp the thing smokes. It has no problem handling any graphic issues I give it. Alas I have an old desk top with an old processor and I still like to use it better. There are advantages to having both. I have always used a PC

Back