What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matching color problem

puppychew

Power User
Hello,

I am trying to change the colors of a house for a client with the result to be in both PDF and hard copy.

Benjamin Moore paint swatches are downloaded in PS - CS-5

Before trying some other colors, I thought I would first try to color the house with the same color already on the house to see if there was a difference.

I made a sample layer selection on the shingles of the house and desaturated the color retaining a gray with shingle detail. I did a color overlay using the Benjamin Moore swatch.

The result was the test selection containing the same color already on the house did not even come close to what it should be - on the house or as shown in a sample swatch on the BM website.

Did I do something wrong above? Do you think I would be best instead of using the downloaded swatch, to use the eyedropper and selecting the color swatch displayed directly on the BM moore website?

Still a newbie so may be way off base.

thanks!

So, i'm kinda newbie myself a little, but have something on mind.

First, you could be facing common color profile problem. Meaning that PS can show color diferent than explorer (or what you are using to get those samples). To understand is that your real problem you should save that your's new (colored) image and try to view it by your web browser. If it show diferent than PS then you have to "equal" what PS and browsers shows. Personaly i use in PS rgb: sRGB IEC6.... or Adobe RGB (1998) settings are under Edit/Color Settings.

Second, by experementing with exist swatches found that to get closest to origanal color with using overley "grey" should be about 60% grey or RGB (128, 128, 128). So make "base" color to those numbers and see if you get what you want.

puppychew....

I agree with SeniorS. PS settings.... PS RGB 1998 has more vibrant colors and better to work with in changing an image's color. Experimant with his suggestions

There are many ways color an image. It all depends on the image itself - in terms of color, image details and lighting. What works for one may not work for another. You are only using overlay... Sometimes its a matter of adding more layers with different modes and opacities .

Thanks, I am using RGb 1998.
I just want to clarify something. When you say gray 128.128,128, That is the gray you arrive at after you desaturate the original color right? I first desaturate the original color making it gray first so it does not look cartoonish, then I apply (overlay) the new color over the gray.

Am I on the right track?
thanks

Yes, just add some curves/level correction to make most of "painted" (but not all of course) area those 128... .
I would do that correction after making ovelay. In that case just play with gray level and 'fake it till you make it'.
Same with hard copy (if i understand correct that it need to be printed). Rare printer will give true image.

Thank you that worked out well. I also need to make a dark green window frame white. I desaturate the layer to -100, and I bring up the lightness to +100. I am not able to get the 128's for a gray to overlay a white color on it. There is still green in a sort of gray color.

I also tried to use levels and it does nothing. When overlaying white, there is still green showing through. I have been playing with different adjustment layers to remove that green, but once I desaturate, they do nothing.

Don't know. You must be doing something wrong because at desature -100 and lightness +100 (or with just lightness +100) you should get total blank white selected area. And acctually no need to overlay white just desaturate properly or use Layer Adjastment - Back & White and lighten it up till needed. Maybe after that made stronger shadow or add some color to not look so gray.

Back