What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Messing with text today

ChrisHPZ

Power User
So as the title suggests, I was screwing around with text today and of course my new found love that is Repousse in Photoshop and I came up with this. I didn't really have an agenda with this image, just wanted to do something with it. It contains the usual reflections, lights, shadows but you guys can see that. On the plus side, I didn't crash Photoshop even once. No what is giving me a hard time today is Windows with all of its damned (Not Responding) messages. Should've bought a MAC instead :banghead:

photoshop3D.jpg

looks really cool, was this done with the 3D function? and theres nothing wrong with windows XD

Hi Bonedog, thanks for the kind words. Yes the text is all Repousse from version CS5. The only other thing I wanted to do with this image was place some point lights inside the hollow sections of some of the letters. However at the time, I really didn't have much knowledge as to these kinds of lights such as how they operate and how they disperse reflectivity. I'm familiar with infinite, spot and image based lighting though. As far as the not responding issues, I've narrowed the cause down to an external drive I have. It's like windows has a hard time communicating with the files being stored on it.

i would really like to have a go myself at the 3D feature, ive still only got cs4, and its a bit primitive, and i have that problem with mine, my C drive is pretty much empty so i just store the files on there and when im done move em over to my external for storage, sorts the problem straight out =)

3D is all about the appearance of depth through the dispersion of lights and shadows, that's it. My reasons for getting into the 3D options in Photoshop is because I like to take my work into Aftereffects and animate it. Aftereffects does support 3D animation in 3D space much like Maya or Blender or DAZ 3D. The image above so could have been made from 2D graphics, but since I might want to do more with it I go the 3D route. If you have it, you can always use Illustrator's 3D options to set up your text as a 3D object and export it into Photoshop for whatever else you want to do. Here's a resource for more tutorials that use this method.

http://dzineblog.com/2008/10/3d-text-effect-tutorials.html

Back