What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some critique on a wallpaper

DisturbedShifty

A buddy of mine asked me to make a Todd Helton wallpaper for him. I have a majority of the wallpaper how I want it. But some thing still looks off. Any help would be appreciated.

HeltonWP.jpg

Remember. Never goto the Library without your shotgun. now Free

Never go to the library without a Shotgun or click anything that says now free

it's a bit crowded to be called a wallpaper in my eyes.

what you could do instead is remove the current background, building mountains you name it.

just have Helton swinging the bat, on his own, the colorado rockies logo small, somewhere. or big, whatever.

just play around with the background, the cleaner it is, the better.

it's the KISS principle really. not calling you stupid by any means, but that principle applies with wallpapers.

par example... it's not the best in world, rough 90 second job, but it's what i'm getting at that counts.
example.jpg

i've been doing wallpapers for a while now, and i'm always keeping the background simple-ish.

I understand where you are coming from. But at the same time my buddy wanted it to be a type of memorial to Helton since he retired. So he wanted the background. The thing that was bugging me was the left hand side. After talking to a couple of friends in my 2D design class we figured out that the text was too much. So we dropped it and just made the CR logo bigger. And I faded the mountains and the stadium out a little more.

HeltonWP-1.jpg

Keep the original text in, but put a white, blurred layer behind it, so it stands out from the background images.

Agent Moeller

A little slow on this one, sorry.

For me the CR logo is one of the main objects in the comp that's just not working at all. Not sure what to suggest there. But definitly make it smaller.

Zee is right about the Todd Helton text, it's taking up too much room and I would also lose the #17.

Lastly, the comp is a bit off balance to me because the main Helton goes right to the edge. The white arrow shows where you used a gradient to fade the bottom of the Helton with his hat off, try doing that on the main Heltons bottom third to fade out those feet. Then center (top to bottom) the main Helton.

HeltonWP_01.png

Currently the background is too distracting. You need to think about what the focus should be.

Right now, the unrealistic scene of purple gradient, mountains and building is sucking up a lot of the attention, when I'd prefer to see more given to Todd Helton, given the nature of the project. (I realize the background elements are relevant too, but they still shouldn't overwhelm the character).

I'd love to see a plainer background, with a primary figure of Helton as the focus, and then secondary images of him as a kind of movie poster style collage. Something like this: http://images4.fanpop.com/image/pho...r-Movie-Poster-monique-15090479-1000-1500.jpg

THAT IS JUST AS DISTRACTING, IF NOT, MORE SO that's not a background that's an advertisement.

EDIT: sorry caps was locked

Last edited:
I wasn't saying to replicate the movie poster, I was showing an example of the type of background effect I meant.

The background details are knocked back into the background, whereas the main character becomes more of a focal point. Overall it's a more limited color palette, and more focused.

It's like Zeealex's design, but with some photographic elements blended nicely into the plainer background.

This should equal a stronger composition with more focus, but retain the collage/homage kind of feel.

The OP has already stated that the person he is making the wallpaper for......wants the background!

We should try to offer suggestions that help the OP improve what they have and NOT suggest something completely different just because you don't like it.

Years ago I used to think that a cool image was a great background or wallpaper, as I got familiar with computers and graphics I realized the least little distortion/ distraction is a PITA... I actually prefer a solid color or close to it unless it's a screensaver.. after all it's a desktop or workspace, who likes to work in cluttered area?JustSayin!

okay working on what the OP has said. I'd say make the Colorado Rockies logo smaller, and put it in the top left. i feel its clashing with the background a little too much where it is.

have the walking away Helton, behind batting Helton. then lastly, lose a little bit of contrast, desaturate it slightly, and put a slight purple photo filter over the image. that should harmonize the colors a little

My suggestion, and I agree that it is too busy with too many images at the same vividness, would be to decrease the opacity of the background and blur it. That would make it less distracting. It would be similar to the helton figure with his back turned. He could even be blurred and made a lower opacity.

I would, like Zee demonstrated, make the CR a lot smaller and move it to the upper left hand corner. The name and number make smaller, especially the number. It is overwhelming and draws the eye to it too readily when IMO it should not be such a priority focal point.

Back