What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie needs help.

antarmelog

Hello, i'm new in photoshop

i got a problem with the tutorial i follow recently.

the instruction:
to drag file from my fisrt document by click it and move to new document. i'm using cs5 and it didn't work.

please if someone can help me .

Tq
Ratna

Last edited:
umm first make sure u have the move tool selected with nothing else selected then click in the middle of the first image and drag it to the canvas of the second one.

Okay your problems could be of 2 types: drag selection or drag a layer.
By default, all new documents on CS5 are tabbed.

Scenario 1:

Suppose you have to move "Image" from Untitled - 1 document to Untitled - 2 document.
° So what you do is select the Move Tool (V), left click on the layer you want to move i.e "Image", and then drag & it to the Untitled - 2 document tab. DO NOT RELEASE MOUSE BUTTON.
° The Untitled - 2 document will now open. Just take your cursor to the workspace. The cursor changes to Mouse Cursor+Box+[+]. Release mouse button. "Image" will now have a copy of itself in Untitled - 2.

Scenario 2:

Suppose you have to move just Selection, i.e the empty space surrounded my marching ants.
Attached Images:
1.jpg
2.jpg

For better understanding, empty object with no fill or color are just Selections. If the enclose something (image, fill, color), then it's an object.
moz-screenshot.png

° To move a selection, using the Move Tool won't work. You will get a "Could not move the selection because the selected area is empty" error. Move Tool cannot move empty areas.
° For this, select the Rectangular Marquee Tool (M)
° When you hover over the Selection, the cursor changes to a white triangle & a small rectangular marquee box.
° Now, Left Click, hold & drag this selection over the 2nd document. DO NOT RELEASE.
° Take your cursor over to the workspace. The cursor changes to Mouse Cursor+Box+[+].
° You will now have a copy of the Selection in new document.

Is this what you were asking? Hope I was of help.
Cheers,
DMB

Tq Guys,

It helps ...i use move tools and drag the layer to new document , guess same with move the channel.

Tq
Ratna.

Back