What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pantone Colour

iDesign

Iv'e had a client return to me asking for the pantone colour of their logo I created for them. They need this for the printing.

Well as stupid as this may sound, what the heck is the pantone colour!? Can anyone help me how to find this. I created the logo in photoshop.

Thanks Sam,

Ok, lets see if this sounds right, it must be done perfect as the client is printing tomorrow, I don't want to mess this up.

On the logo, there are only 2 colours used - Light Blue & Light Black.

How do I provide this information? Would I just tell the client the following colours used are:
- Blue - Pantone 3115 C
- Black - Pantone Black C

Now I know you aren't going to know the code yourself, but does the format of the code sound about right or have I gathered the wrong information.

--

I done this by going on the Colour Picker > clicking one of the colours on my logo > Colour Libraries > noting down the auto selected Pantone Colour > repeated on the other colour.

Colours used:
colours.jpg

Last edited:
Funny enough, this whole pantone rubbish rings a bell when I used to work on the cars, colour matching the paint for the body work? Same thing?

ID,
You are exactly correct. The Pantone matching system is the standard for insuring proper color matches for paint, inks etc. Some of your clients may want to be very specific about their colors. As a designer, you should ask clients to pick or provide you with a Pantone matching color. That way, all of the confusion is eliminated in the process. You should read the information and understand it, it will save you grief in the future.

PS. Mr Tom is right in what he is telling you.

Funny enough, this whole pantone rubbish rings a bell when I used to work on the cars, colour matching the paint for the body work? Same thing?

Last edited:
Thanks AL, I am doing my homework on that tonight.

Tom,

I'll be honest, I don't really understand the chart with that one. If I was to use the 4th one down in the left table, what details would I send? The format seems totally different to what I had up on photoshop.

Last edited:

Believe me, it's not rubbish as Pantone is an industry standard for printing and even in the manufacturing of paints - every designer knows that.

But now you mentioned color for car body work..... It might be a different thing...... Let me mull this over....

Believe me, it's not rubbish as Pantone is an industry standard for printing and even in the manufacturing of paints - every designer knows that.

But now you mentioned color for car body work..... It might be a different thing...... Let me mull this over....

Figure of speech :cheesygrin:.

Usually , auto paint codes do not have CMYK, RGB or Pantone equivalents. They're proprietary color codes and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

That being said, I think your client will be good with the Pantone color code swatches. He brings it to his local automotive paint supplier who then visually matches it to their stock or mixes up a batch by eye to get the right mix.

ID,
You are the one that created the color. You see 3115 about 5 down? Do your RGB numbers match so stated?

Thanks AL, I am doing my homework on that tonight.

Tom,

I'll be honest, I don't really understand the chart with that one. If I was to use the 4th one down in the left table, what details would I send? The format seems totally different to what I had up on photoshop.

If he has a Pantone color he doesn't have to match it visually...he orders the paint from the paint supplier. High end automotive paint manufactures all make it. IMHO that would defeat the purpose. (or mixes it like you said)
Usually , auto paint codes do not have CMYK, RGB or Pantone equivalents. They're proprietary color codes and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

That being said, I think your client will be good with the Pantone color code swatches. He brings it to his local automotive paint supplier who then visually matches it to their stock or mixes up a batch by eye to get the right mix.

The top most value is the colour I picked from the image you posted.
I entered those RGB values into that converter and it gives you a list of the nearest pantone colours.

The values I got from the colourpicker don't quite match a pantone colour 100% so the list gives you the nearest and by what degree...(Dist).
The second column gives you the Pantone name of the colour, some are numbers, some are actual names.

I tried it again using CMYK, (the normal for printing), which gave these results...

pantone_02.png

Its best to go through all this with the values you get, not mine, I could be totally way off.

Regards.
MrTom.

If he has a Pantone color he doesn't have to match it visually...he orders the paint from the paint supplier. High end automotive paint manufactures all make it. IMHO that would defeat the purpose. (or mixes it like you said)

Unless the colors used in the OP's work are the standard vehicle paint color, other shades still have to be mixed visually to get the correct shade and consistency - that's my understanding. Unless the manufacturer or local supplier has that machine to check or do color matching and mixing like what's used for designer specification architectural paints.

Wait a minute.... I re-read the entire thread..... your not doing auto colors in this project... :eek: :cheesygrin:

You may be good with the Pantone coding. As mentioned by ALB, in future works, you're client should select the color and pass this info for you to incorporate into the design. Or if creative liberty is yours, be in prior agreement with client on the final color scheme and not just before sending the work for printing.

This is one of the advantages/uses of Pantone Color Matching System - you get to discuss the exact color to be used even if the person you're dealing with is half a world away.

Tom,

I got the same results as you, I am going to go with Pantone 3115 C & Pantone Black C. They was my original results, and comparing to your table it seems a good match too.

DV8:

Please, don't confuse me more than I already am :cheesygrin:.

I got the same results as you, I am going to go with Pantone 3115 C & Pantone Black C.

Can't argue with that.

You did do your own table though yes? I wouldn't trust mine as I don't trust I got the right values from your uploaded and consequently my downloaded version of that jpg image you posted.....anything could have happened in the process.

It looks pretty close as you say, but its better to do your own just so there is no doubt.

Good luck.

Regards.
MrTom.

Yes, I checked the values you entered, and they was the same as the values I got myself. I did run the table myself too.

Well again, I've learnt something new. I think the best way to check the pantone is by photoshop AND the website generators you gave me. Its always nice to have double confirmation that the colour match is perfect before printing.

One question though, what would happen if lets say you have a lively, colourful picture, with 100's of colours in it. Surely you can't go through every colour and get the pantone code for each one?

One question though, what would happen if lets say you have a lively, colourful picture, with 100's of colours in it. Surely you can't go through every colour and get the pantone code for each one?

Printing (INK) uses CYMK and mixes with these four.

In the "old days" we had BOTH additive and subtractive color printing....THAT was confusing.

Back