What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo-Fix

JoJo

Hi!

As you all know I'm learning photoshop 6...
So i'm a bit newbie...
We need to take a Photo in bad shape [scratches etc...] & fix it...
any ideas/toutorials... ?

Thanx

This is in fact quite difficult, most certainly for anyone who has not experienced.

You should have at least a notion of what channels are, how to make feathered and soft selections, and how to use the clone brush and Curves.

There are books that cover nothing but this subject...
Yet: being impressed never helped anyone.

Is it a black and white, or a colour photograph?
Are you going to scan it? If so, it's there that things start.
Which scanner do you have? Can you use corrections in the scanning software?

I have HP ScanJet 2100C Series Scanners with HP PrecisionScan LTX version 1.1 scanning software...

I didn't decided yet if to use a color or B&W photo... so lets say I'm gonna do it on both...

Thanks

Fixing an old photo with scraches ends up with just using the clone stamp tool, & a bit blur... [right?]

are there any more tools/ways ?

thanks

JoJo... this site has links to a number of tutorials and tips that can help you with this project. http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshoprepair/
Cloning is one of many techniques, but yes, when it comes to dust & scratches, it is probably the most important one! ;)

Yes... I know about that site... thanks,
I went to all of the links there... all are saying to clone a region
& paste it on the scratch... [with or without the stamp...]

So I came here to check for more unCovered issues... ;)

HI!

Look what I done so far:
PhotoFix.jpg

Well... ? :D

Nice work ;)

You only lost some contrast in the first image, especially noticeable in the eyes. Especially the eyes need the attention in portrait photography.

ok... thanks,
Do you have tip on which ways/tools to use ? [ya... stamp... what more?]

& what can I do if the scratch is toooo big & I cant see nothing... from what will I recover... ?

JoJo... well done! :perfect: :perfect: Yes, you've lost some "contrast" but you can easily recapture that with a "levels" or "curves" adjustment layer. ;)

A difficult "lesson" that you were handed, and one, obviously mean't to familiarize you with the cloning tool. Looks like you've succeeded in that regard. :perfect:

If you don't have an area to "clone from", it's a matter of 'filling in the blanks' with an 'educated eye'.... ;) Entails, a vision of "what is missing" and freely painting those areas as you see them to have been! For this type of work, you will need to zoom in real tight (800-1600 zoom) and analyze the pixels around the 'bad areas'. Compare the pixels from the edge of one bad area to another. Use this as a "guide" when it comes to "filling them in". It may only sometimes entail a gradient of colours, or it may entail more detailed hand painting. Always do this type of work on an independent/separate layer whereby you can correct/change without affecting the original pic.

There's no real "hard and fast" rule to this type restoration work... and more than anything it takes a trained eye and familiarity with the tools to tackle same, successfully!

One trick on this kind of image, where you have obvious "bright" areas that you want to clone, like those scratches and bends, is to set the blending mode for the cloning tool to Darken (it's called "Mode" in the tool's option bar.) That will allow you to ONLY darken the parts of the image.

If you have blobs of dark you want to clone out, set the Mode to Lighten.

Also, be sure to set your brush size...it looks like you may have had it a bit large for this photo. That way, you can carefully choose an area close to it that has the right amount of brightness.

Keep it up....you're doing great learning work! The key is experimenting, watching what you're doing, learning from mistakes, and noting what you did when things turn out terrific.

Wow, you did a great job, I like it!

Sanby

Just use stamp tool and also you can use brush tool to fix it....In my opinion stamp tool is best because it left remain real pixel and grain of the picture.You can also use filter of Dast & Scratches.

Back