What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Gradient Question

If you guys check out this image (here). You'll notice that the background has two gradients applied to it. On the top we have Yellow to Red and then on the bottom we have green to pink. My question is how did this artist combine the two gradients so that they blend so well together? Thanks.

Needs experimenting on this one.

But I can say this is through the use of various color gradient masks for the background image .

Hang on.... others may have a solution for you.

I see it as two layers one with one set of gradients applied, then the other with the opposing set of colours then over layed.

bands.jpg

If I were doing this, I probably would do something very straightforward such as set up a stack of hue/sat adjustment layers (set to colorize), one for each color in the final image. Each of these adjustment layers would have a layer mask that is initially completely black. Then, once the stack for all the different colors is in place, wherever you want a particular color to be, you just paint white on the appropriate layer mask with a large radius soft brush. This would give you tremendous flexibility.

Tom M

There are many different ways to accomplish this effect. I would approach this with one layer for each color and the gradient tool using a foreground to transparent gradient. Linear at first with the yellow and red, then radial with the green and pink. Then it's a matter of finding the right blend modes for each layer. Here's a fast down and dirty render:

test_010.jpg

Works best on the dark night sky with stars and clouds.

A lot of great replies! IamSam, thank you for your efforts on emulating this technique. It turned out great! I'm going to try to apply what you guys told me and if there is anything that I get stuck on, I shall reply back. =)

Back