What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Major Here

Hey everyone, my name is Joey 22 years old and I'm from Sunny California enjoying the warm wether in the winter :) I hope you guys all had a wonderful Christmas! I'm currently taking college courses in purse of my degree as a computer graphic artist. I have got a lot of ambition in my goals to getting a degree for my future. I hope to make a lot of great friends here and learn a lot from you guys!

Nice to meet you and have you aboard, any questions you want to ask just ask away.

Welcome to forum.

You're taking a degree in computer graphics. That's great. Hope you achieve your dreams.

A small community, we are, but with friendly and helpful members. Stick around and take part in all activities you'll find here ... challenges, wars, tutes as well as off topic side banter.

I do have one question for you... Does the learning of Photoshop an integral part of your curriculum? Or is this something you have to learn by your own?

Thanks for the warm welcoming guys! Dv8_Fx, I'm not quite sure how to answer your question appropriately, but I'll give it my best shot. Photoshop is something that I've been exploring with for quite some time. I'm still very young and in the early stages in my learning carrier through college. I started photoshop when I was about 16 year old, when I had taken my first computer graphics class in High School. Since then, I've found that photoshop has an overwhelming extension of possibility that can be utilized for pleasure and profession. To narrow your question down, I would say that it's been something that I've had to learn on my own but only with the guidance that my college professors have assisted me with. I know that may sound a bit conflicting, but I feel than an artist learns through wisdom and guidance and not through ignorance and talent alone; although, I'm sure many may disagree with me.

Great question! Thanks for asking.

Thanks for the answer.

I had to ask this coz my daughter finished her college course in Multimedia design. And through all those years, she'd always get back to me with questions regarding trivial PS matters. I soon found out that the profs expect their students to learn PS on their own.

This answers my question as to why a lot of graphic design students frequent forums such as what we have here. Photoshop Essentials 101 should be included in every design school's curriculum.

Thanks for the info.

Pull up a chair and enjoy your time in the forum.

Just how long is your white beard now oh great sage of the forum?:mrgreen:

I'm glad I could help! :)

I'm going to a junior college right now, and there's only two photoshop classes. An intro and an advanced class. When I transfer, I'm sure I'll be able to extend this basic understanding that I have so far. I fell that when you go to school, you are preparing yourself to exposure of what you can expect to see in the real world. I think it's safe to say that we don't learn photoshop by just reading books and attending lecture, but rather understand the way things work and how different techniques can be applied. I think its safe to say You gain that ability to be come a successful artist when you take the initiative upon yourself to apply what you have learned and create something completely creative on your own.

Welcome to PSG mate...

Enjoy what we have to offer and I'm sure you will be a helpful member.

Pleased to have you.

welcome welcome to the forum :)
goodluck on your Junior college....

After all, I think it's save to say that this forum is an excelent guidance :)

Hey Neurotic, welcome aboard! I have a feeling I'm gonna need your help pretty soon! BTW, enjoy the weather and the beaches buddy. I tell ya, lake Ontario beaches have got nothing on Montage or Monarch beach. And I leave it at that...

Interesting thread. I have a grandson who has taken 2 classes in Photoshop, yet I taught him more in a quick hour than he'd learned in all his classes. I took a pen course once and it went into such intricate crazy detail it seemed impossible. I can show someone how to use the pen tool in 15 min with all they ever need to know of the basics. Classes can be a tripping stone. So can books! I learn more from one shot tutorials on the web than anything. And when I google a question, the net brings me to the answer on a forum such as this. So that's my two cents worth :)

Some advice from an old guy (67). Pay attention to your other studies like learning how to SPELL" wether" etc. If you intend to be a professional, you will require a good general education and a command of the English language. Photoshop is a great thing to know, but you can't get there just knowing the program. Please don't take offense at my two cents worth.

Back