What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop - select - modify - border

regularshift

Hello!!

I have PS cs5 and when I define a selected area.. I go above and click in SELECT then in MODIFY and finally in BORDER.. I choose 5px or 20px, whatever, and it generates a border area.. but when I start to fill (with brush tool)..the color stays automatically blur/fade ..instead of being automatically hard... And I don't know to fix it

On of my friends do that the first time in his PS CS5 and it is ok

Help please :)

sorry my poor english..

Hi .. do you think it is an opacity issue? I have cs4 and i dont use the brush tool to fill I just press Control (Windows) Command (Mac) and the delete key or backspace key on windows and it fills the selected area with the foreground colour. Hope this helps.

Um detail.............WHEN I DEFINE THE FEATHER.. the minimum is 0,2.. not 0 (gaussian, one friend tell me the same thing, change feather to 0 but the minimum is 0,2.. and I had value of 5 before, the result is the same=blured)

When you choose the marquee tool, before you make the selection set the feather to 0, there is no minimum.

The border command in PS creates a soft edge, if you want a hard edge you'll need to use a different method.

From the PS help files:

The new selection frames the original selected area, and is centered on the original selection border. For example, a border width of 20 pixels creates a new, soft-edged selection that extends 10 pixels inside the original selection border and 10 pixels outside it.

If you make a selection that is not feathered, fill it with a color, then you can use the Stroke layer style to make a hard edge border around it.

Hello!!

I have PS cs5 and when I define a selected area.. I go above and click in SELECT then in MODIFY and finally in BORDER.. I choose 5px or 20px, whatever, and it generates a border area.. but when I start to fill (with brush tool)..the color stays automatically blur/fade ..instead of being automatically hard... And I don't know to fix it

sorry my poor english..

In PS to make sharp Border over selected area
you are going through wrong process, select > modify > Border .. it will always be feathered and border will not be sharp

Instead you choose desired rectangular/Eliptical Marquee Tool
in the feather option as marked in attachment put value to " 0 "
With marwuee tool selected make desired selection
EDIT > STROKE in the dialogue box select desired colour put desired pixel value for the stroke
Blending Mode - Normal
click OK
Your work is done

If still you have any problem, we are here to solve your problem

z06newforum.jpg

Hello!!

sorry my poor english..

I had the same problem. I had a text selection that I filled full of wonderful colored patterns. It needed a border - a black border of one pixel. So I reloaded (you should save important selections) and then applied the modify - border with one pixel. I too didn't get what I wanted with grey pixels (or were they transparent black) on either side of the black fill. Easy fix - invert the selection and erase the grey. This wouldn't be much help if you had other stuff on this layer - which you shouldn't have it should be a transparent layer. That's the power of layers for you.:)

Back