What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please assist a friend...

Gary1926

I have a friend who has a brush in the middle of the Background layer each time he opens a new blank box in CS# Photoshop Extended. Can you tell me a step by step so I can help him and learn what he did? Thank you, G

Hi Gary

Can you please explain what you mean by this
"brush in the middle of the Background layer each time he opens a new blank box in CS# Photoshop Extended"

Hi,
I received a message from IamSam: What turns out, somehow my friend right clinked just below the "Background" box in the gray area and changed the "Small Thumbnails" to "No Thumbnails". Try it, you will see what he did. Once you go back to "Small Thumbnails" the brush disappears. As for the next problem he has, it goes like this:
I spoke to the guy to change the thumbnails to "Medium". That got rid of the brush. Home Run! Now, as for his apparent second problem (he has a method of altering this program without know it), when he attempts to type in the new window, he does the following: Command "N" opens the window. Goes to "T" to select type. Taps the mouse in approximate area where he wants to type. Only the small square black box shows up, there is no cursor line blinking. He can move the box around anywhere in the window layer. When he types, nothing shows up on the page in black type. When he taps onto the "Move Tool" arrow, the letters he typed show up on the "T" layer above the "Background" layer. There is no indication the type is on the page. Can you guide me to tell him what he changed please? Thank you again, G P.S. This is what I have a black box with a cursor line blinking. He has just the black box, with no cursor and he cannot see the type on the page. c blinking.jpgHe must have changed something else, but I am stumped. Any thoughts to cure the problem? Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like you are typing in the same colour as the background.

Try changing the TEXT colour in the 'Character' Panel then typing again.

text_colour_MT_01.png

Your method is right but by default the text will be the foreground colour...if you used this for the background then you won't see the text on top of it.....it will be there but just not visible.

Regards.
MrToM.

HelloThanks. Checked with my friend and the colour is correct. What is happening is, when he taps the "T" type tool, the square black box shows only. There is no curser blinking. Somehow he has altered this in his program. Is there a way of bringing back the curser? Thank you, Gary

Well....have you tried changing the font size to something bigger than what it is now?

Screenshots of what your 'friend' is doing would help.

Try the font size....it is denoted in the height of the cursor, so stands to reason if you cannot see the cursor then you wont see the text either.

Regards.
MrToM.

He is using 12 pt in black. His explantation is as follows:
Opened a blank layer, tapped the "T" type tool. only the small square black box is on the page. Typed a few letters. Nothing shows up. When he taps the Move Tool, a layer is added above the Background layer. In that layer bar, the letters he typed are displayed. When he taps the the area where the letters were typed, with the layer with the letters highlighted, and selects Command + A, no letters are highlighted. It's as if there is nothing there. Is there a way of checking if the cursor is of or on? Or, if the cursor has been placed on some sort of hold? Thanks again for your input. Gary

You're not really following my instructions, or you are but not giving me the feedback I need to ascertain whats happening.

Did you INCREASE the font size?
What did it do?

The fact that the LAYER displays the typed text is a surefire indication that everything is fine and the text is on the document.

There are only really TWO reasons WHY you cannot see the text...its COLOUR and its SIZE.

If the text is BLACK on a WHITE background and you still cant see it then double click the 'T' thumbnail in the layers panel and change the font SIZE.

Accept the change by clicking the 'tick' at the top of the workspace or by hitting the 'Enter' key ON THE NUMPAD of your keyboard......no numpad then click the 'tick'.

I don't need to know what size it is...YOU need to change it to something bigger than what it is now.

If that doesn't work then reset the whole panel via the Panel Options Menu...

text_colour_MT_02.png

Failing that I really don't know.....you'll have to supply a screen shot of the document AND the Character Panel.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM,
I followed all that you said. Thank you. Also, while I was completing the task, I did correct the problem. On a hunch, I tapped the "T" tool. Right clicked at the top and just above the PS. When doing this, I am given the option to either "Reset Tool" or "Reset All Tools". I suggested to my friend to reset the tool and then he opened a blank page, tapped the "T" tool, the cursor returned as before, and he typed a few letters and those letters showed up on the page. All cured. Thank you for your help. All solved. Maybe someone can work this solution into the forum as a fix for this problem. Gary

Well its academic now as to what the problem was....we will never know. That's the reason I leave 'resetting' anything as a last resort....its more beneficial to find out what it is that causes the problem rather than just 'reset' everything...which tells you nothing.

Anyway, you sorted it...and that's the main thing.

Thanks for letting us know what you did, appreciated.

Regards.
MrToM.

I didn't want to do the reset, but the fellow is late in years, and has a lock on getting things done....NOW. He also has a habit of hitting several keys and then contacting me to solve the problem. We are nearly 600 miles apart and communicating over the phone or online makes the assisting a bit 'long in the tooth'.

Just for the fun of it... what other ways could you get the cursor to return in this program? And, how did he blank out the cursor to have only the black square appear and not the type. To me, it is still a problem that needs assistance. Someone out there will have this problem again and it would be great to know how it was done and how to correct it quickly. Can you assist?

No worries...I appreciate your 'predicament'.

The only things I can think of are as I've already stated...

1. The fact that the 'text' becomes the layer name indicates that the layer contains some 'text'.
2. if the text colour is identical to its background then you wont see it....despite it being there...white cat in snowstorm syndrome...ya know?
3. the fact that the cursor isn't visible indicates that the text 'size' is just too small to be visible.

There are only a finite amount of pixels to display text and if its too small to be even 1px high then you just wont see it.

I can see situations where working in 'points' could be advantageous but in a pixel based image editing program, like PS, it makes more sense to use pixels as the font size....it then becomes obvious if the text size is too small.

The small black square denotes the 'justification' of the text...left, right or centered and really doesn't help if the text isn't even visible.

like I said, without 'seeing' the 'Character' panel when the problem is current means its impossible to say what the problem was.

Someone else may have other ideas as to why the text didn't show but with the information provided my bet is one of those two already mentioned.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thank you, again.
I did follow your suggestion and had him expand the type to a larger font, checked the color of text to black, and nothing changed. You're correct. Now that the cart has been placed back before the donkey, case closed. I have a feeling it will happen again knowing this friend. He has a way of creating "things". I will be in touch again. Thank you for all of your kind suggestions. It's been a pleasure. Gary

Back