What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poloroid Needs Help

lindaw

Power User
Ok I have an old polorid pic that needs to be cleaned up. The photo is torn, no biggie fixing that with pshop but the photo itself has a huge amount of grain to it. I scanned the pic in at 300 dpi then went up to 2400 dpi which made the dots so much worse. I have tried g blur and other things trying to get the grain effect out and sharpen the photo but nothing seems to be working. Here is a pic of where the photo is now. You can see the grain effect the photo has on it, bad pic to start with..... This example is at 300dpi. I have used Silverfast and Twain both with the same results.

Any ideas on how I can clear this one up? The faces on the pic are so distorted from this and I really don't see how I can sharpen this one up. Well not with anything I have currently. Maybe someone has a magic filter out there? :D

Thanks for any input!!

lindaw said:
Maybe someone has a magic filter out there?
Yes, it's called NeatImage. if NeatImage can't fix it, then nothing else can fix it.
I could have fixed it for you, but I won't get the best results with this tiny image. I need the largest size possible.

Is 300 the highest you could scan at? If not, try scanning at the highest resolution your scanner will allow. You will find it much easier to work with...

Thanks for the info! I can scan up to 2400 but of course it look horrible!! NeatImage looks like the program to have for sure. I may look at buying that today.

I am going to work with the 2400 scan some more and see what I can do on my own while researching NeatImage. Thanks again for the help and suggestions!!

The grunge will most likely be in the Blue Channel. That's usually where it hides.
The sample is pretty grim(y) but....

Try converting to Lab mode and work on the L channel to get rid of the grain. That way the colour will not be an issue for the moment. It could be sorted later.
The High-Pass Filter technique might be the best way to sharpen the image.

Al.

What's more: please don't upload it as a gif. Gif can only contain 256 hues which makes the result more difficult for us to interpret.

Back