What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Lost File

Stacy

i've been working on a photo restoration over the past few days and trying lots of different techniques to get rid of unwanted paper texture.
I think I finally managed it using NeatImage but my machine died last night and I can't seem to find the final file.
I have CC and the autosave feature is set to save every 10 mins.

However, when I went back into Ps the only fie recovered was one of the other techniques.

I'm not 100% certain but I think my workflow went something like this:

Messed around with different techniques in a file called 'heathertests.tiff'. When I'd got to a position I was happy with I duplicated a layer to new file which was 'untitled' so I could keep all my testing separate from the final image. Then I continued to work on 'untitled' Now I don't think I saved that file properly before the machine crashed. Do you think this is the reason it didn't automatically save it or do you know where I might find this file?

Thank You

Hi, Stacey..

You can try searching the PS's Temp folder to see if there's a PS tmp file entry at the time your computer crashed. Dunno whether you can open it tho but its worth a shot.

Hi Stacey

Just a word of advice, I'd recommend storing your images on a separate drive if possible and save as you go along. Always have a backup of these images on an external drive as well.
For me I have an SSD as my main Drive and another 2 drives installed in the PC, 1 for the images I work on and another for a backup of the images. I run a backup on a daily basis and always save every couple of minutes when I'm working on a project, it only takes hitting Ctrl + S to save.
So if my main drive ever fails or the OS goes belly up, I know I won't lose anything.
Maybe I'm a bit to careful but I also backup to a separate external drive as well. :)

Sadly this won't help your current situation but hopefully it will help in the future :)

Back