What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS CS4 PROBLEM - pen, zoom, and selection tool problems

adamsmasher

Hi all, cannot believe how frustrating this has been for me, especially since it is sporadic, but occurring about 80% of the time:

System:
OS 10.6.5
PS Extended CS4
Everything updated from OS, to video drivers, to wacom tablet drivers, to PS

When my PS is acting up the following probs occur with my tools:

Zoom tool - one press of the zoom, zooms the image all the way in. Closing PS, restarting, nothing seems to eliminate prob.

Pen tool - pen tool will not accurately display the actual angle of a curve when drawing from anchor point to anchor point. only wants to display 90 degree angles. BUT, if held in the right position, it will jump to the curve i'm looking for after click has been completed. of course its hard to execute anything if you can't see it.

Crop tool - one click will create a crop from my point of contact up to the top left corner of my document. no way to change this.

Selection tool, Lasso tool - when other tools are not working, these aren't either. can't see them at all.

These probs have to be related because when the tools are working, all is fine, when they are not, i can't work at all.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled PS. I have dumped preferences. I have deactivated OpenGL. Nothing seems to work.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!

yeah, i read that post a little earlier today (thanks for posting it), but it didn't fix the problem.

after i couldn't find any hardware or software probs (to my knowledge) i started to think that maybe my mouse was stuck, but my tablet stylus does the same thing, and all the keys on my keyboard are clean/clear. just can't figure this thing out.

everything worked fine for 4 hours this morning, then bam, back to banging my head against the wall.

Being a Windows user I don't know what to suggest, but maybe it's an OS problem.

When did this start?
Can you trace this starting after a software update, hardware change, virus alert, etc., etc.

Have you done a virus scan?
Have you cold booted your computer? (Completely turned off and then turned on the computer)
Unplug the tablet stylus and restart your computer, what happens?
Unplug the mouse and restart your computer, what happens?

Just thinking out loud here.

thanks for the help steve:

i can't trace it to anything, no upgrades or anything until after the problem presented itself. it just kind of started. i was using PS heavily all of last year then the beginning of this year i started to not be able to see my polygonal lasso tool lines or my pen tool lines, except at 90 degree angles, in other words, i could execute a targeted point/line, but couldn't see it until i clicked the next point of the polygon. which makes the pen tool hard to use when you can't see the curve you're trying to make. so this persists still.

will perform a virus scan, haven't done that recently.

tried cold boot, but that didn't work.

i unplug the tablets (i use 2) pretty regularly, doesn't seem to effect it.

i use the wireless tablet mouse and a wireless magic trackpad, so no connection/interference probs there.

i'll try the virus scan and see if that helps.

thanks again!

ok, i think i figured out the problem after pulling out my macbook pro to upgrade to CS5:

it appears that when i lean on my computer to type, my cursor jumps to other parts of the screen, some kind of mapping problem or connection problem, i'm not sure which, though it appears to effect many users apparently, after reading other troubleshooting boards.

i typically use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with this laptop, even when working remotely, so i never noticed this problem before, and why its important here is because i discovered that when the screen of my MBP is closed it places pressure on the onboard keyboard and mouse, causing the cursor to want to float, thus creating tool problems, especially with the marquee, lasso, pen, and crop tools.

so, problem solved. my solution: keep the screen up!

hope this helps someone out there who might be experiencing similar problems!

ok, i think i figured out the problem ...............................................
...............................so, problem solved. my solution: keep the screen up!

hope this helps someone out there who might be experiencing similar problems!

Wow, glad you figured it out and thanks for posting this info here.
Like you said, maybe this will help somebody else with this problem.

Back