What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSG causing problems!

Ok guys, I uninstalled and reinstalled FF and it seems to be a lot better now. I'm not getting the "scroll hang" or the typing lag I was having. Things are still a bit slow. The pages are loading very slowly but much better than before! This I can live with.

It's no different for me. I have to use Chrome to have any chance at all. I lost two posts this morning after typing a couple of paragraphs. I copied the text to the clipboard before the second time, but the browser crashed, recovered the page, and wiped the clipboard! That was not funny. Posting images is a nightmare. The uploader is clunky and most of the time doesn't work for me. Screen shots are super useful when answering questions, but they make a difficult posting situation even worse. I have no idea if this post will even appear, but I shall copy it to Word before hitting Post button. That is not sustainable, and I am eventually going to get bored and find another forum. :-(

[EDIT] that went up pretty quickly. fingers crossed

[EDIT SOME MORE] Well I just managed to put up a video with no drama, although making this edit is being a touch slow. Way better though.

Last edited:
OK, now I've got the problem. I had no problems until about 20 minutes ago, when, without any change on my part, Firefox became slow as molasses on this site, whereas Safari opens it almost instantly.

T

Yeah, my FF is still better but running slow. There's something running in the BG that's causing havoc with FF.

Every other site I go to works fine. I was desperate so I uninstalled my FF and re-insatlled an earlier version 21. Since then everything went smoothly. But as it has to update itself, and it did, it got screwed up again and everything loaded slow.

I might be wrong but there has to be something in the forum settings in conflict with the latest version Firefox.

Could this be a possibility?

This is utterly bizarre. Right now, Firefox is faster than it has ever been on this site. I did nothing (... no reboots, no reinstalls, nothing) except try again an hour after my last try.

I'm wondering if it could be that one of the ads that appear in a semi-random manner is causing the problem in FF, and if it isn't its turn to be displayed, there is no problem.

I'm also wondering if the hacking incident we had a couple of weeks ago might have something to do with this. I would have to look back and check, but I think that all the reports of slow performance came after that incident.

T

Steve is waiting for James to respond to this.

It may not be our browsers or th forum itself. But the after effects of the Ddos attack on VB a couple of weeks back. We'll have to wait and see what happens in the next few days.

Tom said:
I'm also wondering if the hacking incident we had a couple of weeks ago might have something to do with this. I would have to look back and check, but I think that all the reports of slow performance came after that incident.
News to me! Did not know this but could be the source.

Tom said:
I'm wondering if it could be that one of the ads that appear in a semi-random manner is causing the problem in FF, and if it isn't its turn to be displayed, there is no problem.
This was my first suspect when it started happening.

As I've already mentioned in post #4, this could be a scripting issue.

I have no issues, I use MSE rather than Norton, McAffee, or AVG....I wonder if the trojan looks for anti virus ware ?

I am on Chrome, but used FF and IE also to check ??

Above my pay grade, so I will cross my fingers.

Completely lost PSG today 10:46 am (central) to 11:30 am (central). Server not responding.

I accidentally miss struck a keyboard shortcut and PSG froze!

LIZAAAAAAAAD!!!!!! What did you do?

.... nothin', bosch.....

I don't think it's anything to do with the hacker attack. Though it may be the adjustments and additional security upgrade that Admin added into the forum. We're still waiting word from him.

Whether it's a side effect from the Ddos attack that the VBserver experienced sometime back, I'm sure the guys at VB are working on it.

Just keep reporting any weird happenings on the site.

LiZad ..... behave.....

:rofl:

dv8 said:
Though it may be the adjustments and additional security upgrade that Admin added into the forum.
I'm certain that's probably what it was.

My apologies.
I must have used a wrong address or messed up some other way when I sent an email to Admin.
He never got my message.

I re-sent the message and he replied he would look into it.

I had a thought.
Try disabling all the browser add ons and see if that makes a difference.
Maybe this has already been suggested, I haven't read all the posts.

it is hosting issues I have spoken to James and he has confirmed the host has been subject to ddos attacks.

If you dont know what a ddos attack is then basically to sum up you can send a packet of data to any computer on the internet/ ipaddress by to get a ping response from that said computer. as an example if you open up command prompt in windows or a terminal on mac and type ping www.photoshopgurus.com it will come back with a ping speed on how long it takes for your computer to connect to the internet go through several exchanges and communicate with the server that hosts this site. it can be anything from 50 ms ping to over 1000 ms this depends on your connection and how many different exchanges the signal has to go through to reach this server from your computer so if you live in europe and this server is in america it will take longer than if you lived 2 blocks away from the server.

If you want to do a more accurate oing to see exactly how long each stage takes type tracert www.photoshopgurus.com then press enter and that will show you a full detailed result from your computer to your router to your local exchange to a national exchange to send an international signal to america to all the exchanges your router has to send the data to the receiving server. it will break down this in ms.

usually if a site is none responsive this will tell you exactly where the problem is with a time out request. if it gets all the way to the photoshopgurus and times out then it is local problems but as of lately it is the stage before hand which is the actual hosting company that times out.

anyway point is hackers have a way of sending these pings to a server or a hosting company (which is usually the case most of the time) that takes that tiny packet of data and multiplies it so it is several mbs in size and even gigabytes now. They can either do this from 1 computer or use a network of computers which can all be on same network or any computer around the world if the hacker has a method of accessing that computer to send a packet data out this can be created using spyware so sometimes even you can be helping a ddos attack without even knowing.

Now how does this take a site offline.

Well if you go to speedtest.net and run a speedtest you will see your download speed and upload speed. this server has very similar system all though they tend to have 1 gigabyte connections. which depending on your hosting type will either allow you to have a 1 gigabyte connection or part of it cheaper hosting tends to be 100 mb connections. meaning at any 1 time the server your site is hosted on can handle 100 mbs of incoming data and 100 mbs of outgoing data at a time. for usual browsing the actual data used is minimal hence we can have thousands of people connected to this site with possibility a bit slower than normal browsing times. This is why many internet providers do a throttle of your internet speed at peak times so the networks dont get overloaded.

so say this server can handle 100 mbps of data and genuine usage of innocent people using this site is using 50 mbps of that data and a hacker or group of hackers send an attack which results in this server (or the hosting server) getting 450 gbps then that means the data being sent to the router is infact 450,000 mbps on a network that can only take 100 mbps so the router gets overloaded and can no longer handle any more data and confuse itself sorting out what is real genuine data and what is fake data by ddosers. There is software to prevent this that has a better grip on sorting out fake data and only allowing genuine data to go through to the actual server. But overload the router with to much data and it will just go nope not accepting to any more traffic until I have processed all pending requests.

Thats why people all arrange to browse smaller sites at the same time becaus ethey cant handle thousands of people browsing the site without overloading the router and then it taking the website offline. Hackers go 1 step further and multiply their data to take down bigger sites and even hosting companies.

Unfortunately bigger companies that are the targeted sites tend to be hosts which smaller sites and innocents sites run of same network and they become innocent victims.

ddos attack = distributed denial of service attack meaning distribute data across a network so it denys the service of the network.

so there you go incase you were interested.

Ahhhh... that answers the question.

Is this a new attack? Or effects from the initial one?

I was having difficulties a few hours ago so I decided to re-commission my old Dell P4 (lol) without AdBlocker in Firefox. Everything seems fine these past couple of hours. Now I'll try installing the FF plugins.

Back