What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About Shading

Mookie

Hello everyone. It's been quite a long time since I've been here. I am attempting to add people to a family portrait I took (they are awful at telling time) and due to the pictures being taken about 2 hours apart from each other, the shading on the faces and clothing are just out of whack. Can anyone give any tips on how I can achieve mimic the shading of the group on the two people that were late or at least something makeshift that will suffice albeit not perfect??

This is my first attempt at this and it is to be a Christmas present for everyone in my family so I'm trying to make it not look.... well, amateur lol

All tips are appreciated. I have about 3-4 years experience w/ the software but I never used it extensively enough to know how to achieve this.

Thanks a lot!!

Like Clare requested, an image makes our job a whole lot easier my friend:thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I used to browse this forum long ago when I first signed up b/c the tips I would get were fantastic but at the same time, I didn't remember the policy about "asking" for people to do my work. If it's straight forward and easy enough, please provide cliffs of instructions on how to get to the final product as I want to learn to do this. I searched and searched for tutorials before making my stop here but nothing gave me what I was looking for.

I'm trying to add the two into the group of people. I purposely had the pictures taken w/ the spot left open on the right of the picture to add them later. Unfortunately I'm not as good as I thought at this program.... but also like I stated, this is the first time I've ever attempted something like this haha. I have CS5 FWIW.

I'm adding the two in one photo to the group in the other:

http://i.imgur.com/uMDkaRF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/edFx5JT.jpg

Again, while I wasn't looking for the work to be done b/c I didn't want to ask anyone of their time, the efforts are greatly appreciated.

Chris, thank you very, very much for doing this for me.

Could you please provide cliffs on how you achieved this?? All I've ever used Photoshop for was enhancements and creating sigs for other forums I visit. It's a toy to me that I was hoping became a profession long ago lol. I gave up on that part and just kept it up as a hobby. I've never been able to get this done though.

Any tips would be awesome.

Thank you very much again. Looks great!

Open your two images.

edFx5JTChrisdesign1.jpg
Make a selection of the 1.pic and drag it into the 2.pic. The couple is now on a separate layer.

edFx5JTChrisdesign2.jpg
Add a layer mask to this layer and use the pen tool to cut out the couple from the background.

edFx5JTChrisdesign3.jpg
Play with curves, hue/saturation and selectiv color correction till they blend in with the people from pic1.
On this layer i also added a piece of hair from "grandmother".

edFx5JTChrisdesign4.jpg
This is the hardest part: On your layer mask paint with black color and a soft brush, very small size and with low opacity till the blending of the persons looks natural.
Make some final color corrections.

edFx5JTChrisdesign5.jpg
Add a new layer (multiply) under the layer of the couple. Paint your shadows with a soft brush and low opacity. Add gaussian blur if needed.

Good luck.
Chris

Back