What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about copy paste and resize

Johnny15

Hello everyone,

I am going to explain the entire problem because it might be helpful. I am attempting to make a board game easier to play for my friends by translating it and adding stickers. I have scanned some boards and I am currently editing them using Photoshop. I used the content-aware feature to erase the text from all the boards and utilized the text tool to translate the specific part I wanted.
Now the problems begin. I want to print only certain sections of the edited boards instead of the entire file containing all the boards. To address this, I created a new tab with the same dimensions and proceeded to copy a portion of the board and paste it there. Unfortunately, the copied part did not have the same size, which is crucial for me as I intend to place it on top of the original and ensure the artwork fits seamlessly. Apart from that , I encountered difficulties in resizing the copied part as I was unable to select the file; I could only move it without the ability to resize.

Now that you know the whole problem, I have three questions:
A) Why doesn't the copied part of the board have the same size as the original on the new tab?
B) Why can I move it but not resize it?
C) Is there any way to resize it just a tiny bit, or should I use the old-fashioned way of dragging the edge of the photo?

Sorry for the big post but I wanted to give you the whole idea.
Thanks in advance

Giannis

Hello everyone,

I am going to explain the entire problem because it might be helpful. I am attempting to make a board game easier to play for my friends by translating it and adding stickers. I have scanned some boards and I am currently editing them using Photoshop. I used the content-aware feature to erase the text from all the boards and utilized the text tool to translate the specific part I wanted.
Now the problems begin. I want to print only certain sections of the edited boards instead of the entire file containing all the boards. To address this, I created a new tab with the same dimensions and proceeded to copy a portion of the board and paste it there. Unfortunately, the copied part did not have the same size, which is crucial for me as I intend to place it on top of the original and ensure the artwork fits seamlessly. Apart from that , I encountered difficulties in resizing the copied part as I was unable to select the file; I could only move it without the ability to resize.

Now that you know the whole problem, I have three questions:
A) Why doesn't the copied part of the board have the same size as the original on the new tab?
B) Why can I move it but not resize it?
C) Is there any way to resize it just a tiny bit, or should I use the old-fashioned way of dragging the edge of the photo?

Sorry for the big post but I wanted to give you the whole idea.
Thanks in advance

Giannis
HI @Johnny15
If you have another tab and want to do copy and paste to the same size, here are a couple of thoughts
A) First, make sure that the new tab is the same size (pixels, inches, etc.) AND that the resolution or PPI is also made the same. When you copy and paste an element from your original to the new tab, it should be the same size
B) Normally, you should be able to resize a Layer or an object on a Layer, yet you also need to make sure it is not a background Layer (with the lock symbol). That may or may not be your problem, yet that is worth checking
C) If you copy a sub-portion from your original image and paste it into an empty Layer, that portion is surrounded by transparency on that Layer. In that case, if you use the Cmd+T (Cntl+T on PCs), you will have transform handles around just that portion of the object. Basically, the stretch handles will be placed at the outside of all pixels (which does not include fully transparent areas)

Another approach to solving your problem, rather than copying just portions of the board to another tab, is to copy the whole board to another tab and delete the areas that you don't want to remain.

Those are just some quick ideas/recommendations, and hope that helps some
John Wheeler

Looks like it works if I keep the same resolution, and ppi! I am not sure why it didn't work when I tried.
If I run into any trouble I will post back!
I will try some future projects and then I can be sure!

Looks like it works if I keep the same resolution, and ppi! I am not sure why it didn't work when I tried.
If I run into any trouble I will post back!
I will try some future projects and then I can be sure!
Glad to hear it worked for you
John Wheeler

Actually, the photo that I uploaded was 8.96 cm in height and 2.61 cm in width.
Then I created a new tab with A4 page dimensions (21 x 29.7 cm).
Next, I selected the photo and copied it to the new tab. It appeared as shown in the photo I posted. Then, I used Ctrl+T to resize it and input the same dimensions as the original one.
I am not sure if that's the correct way, though.
Thanks in advance
Giannis

2024-02-13 23_36_05-Window.png

2024-02-13 23_38_43-Window.png

Back