What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

refine edge

songbird

I have a granddaughter with really curly hair. I'm not having much luck with refine edge. If I use the refine radius tool it usually just erases the hair. It doesn't look like all the tutorials posted on the web.

IMG_7289 - resized.jpg Thanks Steve. I tried using channel masking to select the hair on the left side of this girl, change the background behind it on the left (I was trying to remove a person on the left) and then put the hair back on. It was kind of hard because most of the hair was dark, but the wispy ends turned white instead. I tried drawing over them in black to select them. It's really my first time doing this, so I know it's not that good. I used the tutorial "select hair by using channels" on planet photoshop .com. It was pretty hard. The tutorials always have a solid background, and I usually have a background with various colors in it. I'll try to attach a picture. Do you have any advice? songbird

I'm not clear, is your BG on the picture of the little girl the original? If it is not, then you did a very good job. But hair extraction is not an easy job. You have to really follow the instructions in the tutorials carefully. There are multiple ways to do it, but colored backgrounds definitely mean you have to do more of the detail work by hand. Good luck with that. It's very satisfying once you do it.
:mrgreen:

The background on the right is original. The background on the left is photoshopped. I tried that tutorial with light background, photoshop cs5 hair masking, several times, but when I try to select hair with the refine radius tool it doesn't seem to work like the video. It just seems to erase the hair.

It looks pretty good to me. I don't like the whole refine edge option myself, which doesn't mean I'm applying it correctly, but I've never been satisfied with the results. If I want to change an edge I use the old select>modify menu most of the time. Maybe I'll try to learn it better. Anyway, good job.

Back